Apple's iPad Gets a CPU Performance Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
It's so funny how Tom's is filled with anti-apples. The mention of an Apple product being superior probably ruins their day.

chuckles

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004
[citation][nom]peacock[/nom]Cuz if ya haven't noticed, no other publication really gives a twit about other devices that are me too. Wake up and look around you.[/citation]

Right, cause when apple comes out with a device similar to ones that have already come out, its not a "me too" I forgot.

peacock

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]chuckles[/nom]Right, cause when apple comes out with a device similar to ones that have already come out, its not a "me too" I forgot.[/citation]
I have an idea, GO BUY SOMETHING ELSE YOU LIKE AND READ ABOUT IT, instead of clicking on an iPad article and then complaining. Do you not have the mental capacity to think like that? Guess not.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]But there is no apple product that is superior. Ok ok, so Apple is superior at having a bunch of drones that can't think for themselves buy their products.A tablet has to be compared to a CELLPHONE to make it look good. Pathetic.[/citation]
We are Apple, resistance is FUTILE

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
[citation][nom]Userremoved[/nom]Really this thing is as big as a netbook so why they put a smartphone chip?[/citation]
I would venture a guess that Apple wanted to use the iPhone OS, which is ARM based, and netbook chips like the Intel Atom is x86

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]Go read something else. No one forced you to click on an iPad article.[/citation]
Why don't you just ban him while you're at it. :/

I might not agree with his sentiment, but I don't see why he shouldn't be free to express it.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I think this thing is going to sell well with a lot of "closet" buyer's remorse after they realize they don't really need it and have nothing to do with it. I'm betting a lot will regret buying it but few will admit it.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Why are they comparing it to smart phones ? I thought it didn't make phone calls or do video conferencing. I guess that's the only thing they can really compare it to because it doesn't have the muscle of a simple netbook. So what you basically have here is a big iPhone sans the phone.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]I think this thing is going to sell well with a lot of "closet" buyer's remorse after they realize they don't really need it and have nothing to do with it. I'm betting a lot will regret buying it but few will admit it.[/citation]

I agree with you he should be free to say whatever. But thats not what toms likes anymore. If you say something a mod doesnt like, he will erase all your stuff and ban you for what he feels is breaking the tos. Ive been banned twice for saying right things toms mod didnt like. Also been banned for 3 days for saying the same bad word tuan did but how come he doesnt get his post erased and he banned for 3 days? Being an employee has its perks.

Tuan always takes it personal when someone doesnt agree with him and has little tirades to defend himself. He said "if you dont like what I spent my weekend writing than go read something else". I laughed cause if it took him all weekend to write less than 500 words and it was copy and pasted and he GOT PAID FOR DOING HIS JOB! But im sure Ill get banned again for 3 days for "trolling" because someones feelings are hurt. Oh well the earth will still spin.

Tuan a little advise, stop turning away the very same people that make it possible for you to feed your family if you have one. All the people at toms made you dont think you made yourself. If it wasnt for the toms community you wouldnt have a job. So next time you tell someone to go read something else on the internet, look at your family because your taking food outta their mouths.

Preparing for deletion and banning in 3..2..1...

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]Why don't you just ban him while you're at it. I might not agree with his sentiment, but I don't see why he shouldn't be free to express it.[/citation]

Right one.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]spoofedpacket[/nom]Battery life. It is a reading device, not really an all around multimedia device.[/citation]
Pretty expensive for an Ebook

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]silky salamandr[/nom]I agree with you he should be free to say whatever. But thats not what toms likes anymore. If you say something a mod doesnt like, he will erase all your stuff and ban you for what he feels is breaking the tos. Ive been banned twice for saying right things toms mod didnt like. Also been banned for 3 days for saying the same bad word tuan did but how come he doesnt get his post erased and he banned for 3 days? Being an employee has its perks. Tuan always takes it personal when someone doesnt agree with him and has little tirades to defend himself. He said "if you dont like what I spent my weekend writing than go read something else". I laughed cause if it took him all weekend to write less than 500 words and it was copy and pasted and he GOT PAID FOR DOING HIS JOB! But im sure Ill get banned again for 3 days for "trolling" because someones feelings are hurt. Oh well the earth will still spin.Tuan a little advise, stop turning away the very same people that make it possible for you to feed your family if you have one. All the people at toms made you dont think you made yourself. If it wasnt for the toms community you wouldnt have a job. So next time you tell someone to go read something else on the internet, look at your family because your taking food outta their mouths. Preparing for deletion and banning in 3..2..1...[/citation]
Uh what? way to skip over the reality part. I didn't delete or ban anyone that doesn't agree with me. And those people you're referring to seem to only want to bash and not give any substantiated backing. The same ones who come in and say "Blah X sucks," and then leaves, but then complain when a writer doesn't give facts to back opinion? Please. They should spare me the hypocricy. If you're going to give advice, at least talk about the same thing, not just come in and skip over the fine details of how a certain situation came to be in order to attempt at a point.

And way to to dumb down what I said, if you haven't read the other large review i did over the weekend. Way to pick this particular article and use it to say that's what I spent my weekend doing.

Don't come in here and make yourself look foolish.

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Userremoved[/nom]Pretty expensive for an Ebook[/citation]
And I suppose the Kindle DX is a bargain at $489.

Seriously, ignorant commenters need not respond.

peacock

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]Why don't you just ban him while you're at it. I might not agree with his sentiment, but I don't see why he shouldn't be free to express it.[/citation]
From what I see he was free to express what he said since no one banned or deleted his messages. Tuan is free to say what he wants too. Why do people only see things from one angle?

Like I've been saying since forever, the internet how it allows people to be annonymous, turns normally sane and calm people into rabid bashers, naysayers, and jerks. Some of these people feel that they can come here and bash Tom's, Tuan, and whoever else works here because nothing can happen to them. So the thinking is like "I can be a jerk and no one can do a thing haha."

People need to grow up.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]So what? People also think these apple articles like these are getting really old. So what, LIVE WITH IT.Maybe a non-bias article (though from you when Apple is involved ROFL) pointing out how the review is comparing a tablet to a CELLPHONE to make the Ipad CPU performance look good.The Ipad can not make calls like a cellphone can, it's purpose is to do what cellphones can't do, or can't do easily. Therefore it should not be compared to cellphone despite having the hardware of one. I bet if Microsoft were to come out with a tablet like this with a cellphone's hardware and the windows mobile OS it would be getting negative reviews for being the size of a smaller monitor's screen yet the hardware of a modern cellphone.So is this comment one of those you are getting sick of?[/citation]

Yeah cuz a non-biased Apple article from me is so "ROFL":

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-ipad-ipod-iphone-tablet,9526.html

peacock

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]So what? People also think these apple articles like these are getting really old. So what, LIVE WITH IT.Maybe a non-bias article (though from you when Apple is involved ROFL) pointing out how the review is comparing a tablet to a CELLPHONE to make the Ipad CPU performance look good.The Ipad can not make calls like a cellphone can, it's purpose is to do what cellphones can't do, or can't do easily. Therefore it should not be compared to cellphone despite having the hardware of one. I bet if Microsoft were to come out with a tablet like this with a cellphone's hardware and the windows mobile OS it would be getting negative reviews for being the size of a smaller monitor's screen yet the hardware of a modern cellphone.So is this comment one of those you are getting sick of?[/citation]

hahaha, oh man, here's another guy who thinks he's non-biased when he says something like this crap:

[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]Ok ok, so Apple is superior at having a bunch of drones that can't think for themselves buy their products.[/citation]

kmai3k, if you're gonna argue against Tom's, you're not helping yourself.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]You have few, compared to the vast majority. You do also realize since only replied to a single sentence of that entire comment you could have just quoted that sentence right? I'm just making sure because some of the articles on here are just poorly written at times. And no one can deny that.[/citation]

All I'm saying is that people need to calm down. That's all. :)

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]You have few, compared to the vast majority. You do also realize since only replied to a single sentence of that entire comment you could have just quoted that sentence right? I'm just making sure because some of the articles on here are just poorly written at times. And no one can deny that.[/citation]
One more thing, disliking a company or what have you is cool with me. I don't mind if someone doesn't or does like company X. But when that turns into uncalled for bashing of people, that's not cool. Less bashing, more tech.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]rambo117[/nom]More like, but can it run... Windows?[/citation]Windows sucks on tablets. This has been proven many, many times. Even Tom's had a full blown article on why Tablet PC's SUCK. Windows is not designed to be used in a Tablet. Mac has developed an OS that WORKS and is highly simplistic. It just works! and GOOD TOO!

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Really this thing is as big as a netbook so why they put a smartphone chip?

Because they wanted to get 10 plus hour Battery life out of it. Try getting that on a Laptop. I'm on my eleventh Hr. and i have about 20 minutes left. Game Over!

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Why are people bitching at others for comparing it to a netbook. Jobs compared it to a netbook. So shall we. It is it's own device. But its useless beyond simple web browsing and doing stuff in the apps. For a programmer its completely useless. For a business man... it without an actual keyboard says NO WORD DOCS in big letters, which extends to a lot of work related features a businessman can do easily on a netbook. For a simple worker? Well he can't afford one. For a hardware enthusiast that wants to visit Tom's Hardware in full size wherever he goes... yeah....

randomizer

Champion

Hang on, you contradicted yourself. When you registered with this site you agreed that you would post according to the ToS, and now you're saying you should be free to say anything? :sarcastic:

Status
Not open for further replies.