News Apple's Latest 'M2' Chips Are in Mass Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolestcarl

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
For a long time (all my life) I was an anti apple snob (only Linux, Windows and Android devices) . But recently I tried out the ipad pro and was impressed by the build quality and just the overall work flow. And ofcourse there is apple's customer support which I have always known through other family members of how good they really are. For the first time I am actually looking forward to the experience of the new M'x' based machines. Yes I am completely aware its a closed shop. But their total control of the ecosystem both hardware and software does have benefits that cannot be easily replicated in any other compute environment. Add to it the customer service and I can actually accept the premium is worth paying (not the overpriced intel trash of yester years). These new breed of macs are definitely special.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
And Apple will no doubt say it's XX times so much faster than the previous M1 so as to encourage buyers to unload their overpriced M1 computers and buy their next overpriced Apple computer. When a companies flogs a $1300 PC with 8GB of RAM and 256GB of disk storage, you are targeting a gullible customer who bought into the marketing from Cupertino.

coloradoblah

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
For a long time (all my life) I was an anti apple snob (only Linux, Windows and Android devices) . But recently I tried out the ipad pro and was impressed by the build quality and just the overall work flow. And ofcourse there is apple's customer support which I have always known through other family members of how good they really are. For the first time I am actually looking forward to the experience of the new M'x' based machines. Yes I am completely aware its a closed shop. But their total control of the ecosystem both hardware and software does have benefits that cannot be easily replicated in any other compute environment. Add to it the customer service and I can actually accept the premium is worth paying (not the overpriced intel trash of yester years). These new breed of macs are definitely special.

The iPad pro is an awesome device, it's not a pc replacement but it's pretty tough to beat for a portable casual usage device. I also have an iPad from 2014 that still runs great, the battery is abysmal but it's a perfect treadmill tv machine.

I used to rail against them as well and still think they have some ridiculous pricing, but I can see why they have a loyal fan base especially among folks who would never think to build their own machine.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
With as expensive as Apple computers are it would stand to reason then that their processors should be the fastest. Good to see that becoming the case, and I'm looking forward to the ARM future. However, I wouldn't do so on an OS so completely locked down in every as MacOS is.

M1 is a long, long way away from being the "fastest" CPU available. Only in Apple marketing is that the case...;)

Well it is true the M1 is the fastest when comparing at the same power and may times beating chips pulling multiples more power. Of course you have to take power into account just as we would never try to compare a cell phone CPU to a server CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS