Apple's Lightning Cable for iOS 7 Hacked by Chinese Firm

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The day I took delivery of my new iPhone 5 was the day I fell out of love with Apple devices. I used the video output from my previous iPhone 4S continuously for presentations, etc, and when I discovered that I had lost video connectivity to my various non-airplay devices that was pretty much where I decided that I would never buy another Apple product again as they completely rendered useless any standard AV device that I could previously use. I ended up buying a 2nd hand previous gen iPod Touch to get around the problem.

I'm seriously glad that someone has managed to stick it to Apple as their latest attempt at a monopoly looks doomed to failure, and lets face it, that without any product innovation what else can they do? It's pretty low. My next phone will be Windows flavoured.

G

In actual fact, because someone has hacked the cable it's actually done Apple a favour as people might be more likely to buy the phone now they have better connectivity options. Just a shame that Apple are too stupid to realise it. I will resist putting iOS7 on my phone for as long as I can.

kin3000

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
@pchishoIm
'm surprised it took you five generations of iphones to finally realize that Apple tries to monopolize every peripheral/accessory/cable for every single product they make.

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
In other news, more Chinese people will be electrocuted by non-licensed / hack-crap cords! Once they circulate through the world, Android/Win8 people will be the sole survivors!

falcompsx

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
As bad as Apple's money grab tendancies are, had they just made lightning a new usb3.0 micro connector as an open standard I would love it. The connector itself is actually quite well designed and its nice to be able to just plug it in without verifying its right-side-up. Having to pay the apple tax for such a minor quality of life change is just wrong though. Its a shame Apple can't make things like this and make them open standards instead of grabbing money at every chance they can get.

micro-usb cables are garbage, i cant tell yo how many microusb phone i've had that would no longer charge because if its sh***y design and all would fail under a month of light use (mainly the phones connector). Atleast this design is nice and sturdy and can be plugged in either way.

i cant wait for the new jailbreak to come out since i just got a new 4s, the plain ios is just boring, no customization at all,

john987

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

I have a galaxy s2 that I've had for almost 3 years, a bb 9700 from 4 years ago, a galaxy ace, a razr hd, and now an s4, I've never had problems with a micro usb port breaking or anything wrong with them, I still have all the phones and they all work. It has to be you not handling it properly. Good thing apple caters to folks like you.

TechnoD

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
"I have a galaxy s2 that I've had for almost 3 years, a bb 9700 from 4 years ago, a galaxy ace, a razr hd, and now an s4, I've never had problems with a micro usb port breaking or anything wrong with them, I still have all the phones and they all work. It has to be you not handling it properly. Good thing apple caters to folks like you."

Sorry just had to add this - Apple: "Your holding it wrong!"

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I would understand the cable thing if the iPhone5 was a totally revolutionary animal... But it's not. It's just a incremental upgrade of the phones before it. Hardly worth getting excited for, and definitely not worth re-buying all the accessories for either. Now, if you were buying the 5 as your first apple phone then yea, by all means buy up the accessories, but don't expect to be able to upgrade/change out those accessories either >_>

spat55

Distinguished
Pchisholm:

Another mistake there, don't go for a windows phone, go for Android, I was going to go for a windows phone, but I got a Android and love it. IMO have a look at both and see what you like most.

hiryu

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
@Dyseman
Do you really believe the recent news in China that someone was truly electrocuted by using an iphone? Even if the person was electrocuted indeed, the fault can only be the power adapter, not the cable nor the phone. The output of the properly working adapter is only 5V DC, unless someone inserted electrodes directly into the heart.
Everything in China can be fake but fraudster.

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
@Dyseman
Do you really believe the recent news in China that someone was truly electrocuted by using an iphone? Even if the person was electrocuted indeed, the fault can only be the power adapter, not the cable nor the phone. The output of the properly working adapter is only 5V DC, unless someone inserted electrodes directly into the heart.
Everything in China can be fake but fraudster.

Dude, it was a friggin' joke.

Lu Kong

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
1. Everyone can understand that Apple products are too expensive, but to say its alright for people to hack a security that protects you from Fakes (Which gas the potentional to mess up your Phone), isn't really Morally Smart

- On that I've bought a USB Wall Charger & Cord for $7 at a Dollar Plus store which could have caused half of my ZTE n762 screen to go unresponsive

2. I did though find someone who sold a legit USB Wall Charger & Cord for Androids at $10-$12, but I could understand why people go for those prices cause this things break and paying $30 to have it not working isn't worth it to get it again.

3. I think Apple's security feature is so you don't get ripped off

4. If you agree with the Hack, I'm pretty every scammer who can sell Fakes agrees as well (That $7 seemed like it was charging, the Battery never moved)

5. If your phone gets messed up, you as I can only point the finger at myself

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
robochump , July 18, 2013 9:01 PM
Made in China so Chinese manufacturers freely give blue prints out to their Chinese counterparts...lol.

You have never done any business in China obviously....

Status
Not open for further replies.