Apple's Tim Cook Calls for Stronger US Privacy Laws

Jan 14, 2019
Too bad he isn't as supportive of providers not suppressing third-party content and allowing freedom of speech.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Yeah he and most of the tech CEOs aren't onboard with the concept of freedom of speech. So they use the tools at their disposal to shut people down, for example by refusing to host content or stripping all methods of funding. Realistically, he doesn't actually care about privacy either, not at a personal level. The article actually nailed it:

Stricter privacy laws wouldn't be a win for Apple because of Cook’s personal beliefs. They’d be a win for Apple because so much of its competition relies on for-profit surveillance to survive.

s1mon7

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018
The privacy in the US is not respected. I moved here from Europe (where the privacy laws are much more advanced) and I'm really uncomfortable. The pinnacle of violation are the credit bureaus, which really are just private companies gathering all private data needed to ruin your life, obtain your data from most companies you deal with as if it was completely normal, make dozens of transactions including your name, address, social security number and credit purchase/payment history every single year that you aren't aware of, and charge you to see your data. I have no idea who thought this is perfectly fine. The EU is still far from perfect, but that would be categorized as organized crime over there.

Nobody should be able to have your data without your permission. Everyone should erase your data upon your request. It really sounds very simple to me. It seems like the only reason why it's not like that everywhere is because of data violators lobbying the governments to act against their citizens.

alextheblue

Distinguished

The biggest offenders include firms like Google and various social media firms, and certain government agencies. Yet you bring up the credit bureaus? You're OK with the various EU states monitoring everything, (and arresting you if you say heretical things)... but the credit bureaus are making you "really uncomfortable"?

I'll put a call in with the boys and have them unchain you. You'll be free to return within 24 hours.

I'm sure any business would be against practices that give the competition a leg up on them... not to mention if it gives them a PR image that will give them the leg up. (Notice I said PR image. This is because we know that Apple is just as guilty for collecting/trafficking your personal info as everyone else.)

s1mon7

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018

Firstly, there is a large difference between the data that Google or Facebook handle and the data that the credit bureaus handle. The latter deal with sensitive information, including your name, address, identification numbers, debt information, card numbers and everything else needed to steal your identity that's also capable of ruining your life. They are also constantly obtaining and transferring your data from/to companies that you are dealing with and you can't do anything about it.

The worst that Google has on you are things you willingly provide them with. Pictures, messages, location history? While surely things aren't great there, it's harmless compared to the credit bureaus. I hope most people never get hurt just to realize where the largest data security and privacy threats lie, but such organizations should never be allowed to exist.
Saying they're a smaller threat than Google or Facebook is ignoring a gorilla in the room.

As for you comments regarding the EU or the second paragraph of your post, I won't even bother answering.