[SOLVED] Applied Thermal paste but temps are high?

mmzf

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
I have a core 2 duo P8400 @2.26, with nvidia quadro fx 2700m. my machine is Dell precision M6400. I applied thermal paste 3-4 days back, i thought it will help control temps, the max cpu goes is 59 and GPU goes is 64. but i dont even put load, i mean like gaming or editing anything. i just use browser , and stream videos. What could be the issue? i applied a normal layer of thermal paste on chips, along with a small dot in middle before closing heatsink. i also cleaned all the dust in fans and heat sink, air is also flowing good.

mmzf

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
its due to manufacturing defects...u can google heat pipe failure, nothing uncommon
that still didnt asnwer my question...does hot air get out of fans?
i can feel hot air but it is not hot as shown, i mean if gpu is at 51 the air feel like 35+ or near that, could that be due to not applying thermal paste correctly?

that depends, are u able to touch your heatsink while notebook is running?
that way u can tell if its heatpipe issue or not
near fan should be on touch similar temperature to whats near gpu/cpu spot
if it feel similar, than its thermal paste or low pressure (contact beween pipes and cpu/gpu chips)

mmzf

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
that depends, are u able to touch your heatsink while notebook is running?
that way u can tell if its heatpipe issue or not
near fan should be on touch similar temperature to whats near gpu/cpu spot
if it feel similar, than its thermal paste or low pressure (contact beween pipes and cpu/gpu chips)
i can feel same temperature near the gpu till the fan pipes are having same temperature

mmzf

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
i think the problem is low quality thermal paste. i bought it for like 68 pence (0.68$). My processor has TDP of 25W but according to this i feel like the temps are high. is 58 degree is safe? if i want to use this machine for more 3-4 years? i mean will it effect lifespan of cpu or gpu?