Apply SP6a on my NT CD

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

I have NT Workstation 4.0 (SP1) on CD. I would like ton create a new CD of NT
WKS including SP6a. How can I do that ?
tanks

G

You can't. Slipstreaming didn't come about till Windows 2000.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Steve Légaré" wrote:
|I have NT Workstation 4.0 (SP1) on CD. I would like ton create a new CD of
NT
| WKS including SP6a. How can I do that ?
| tanks

io

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

I don't know if this might work/work for you (haven't tried it myself, yet)... ~ see here: http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

.... it would be nice to know ...

regards,

io

"Steve Légaré" <SteveLgar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4ED86B71-C25D-43CA-98AD-6129515580BE@microsoft.com...
> I have NT Workstation 4.0 (SP1) on CD. I would like ton create a new CD of NT
> WKS including SP6a. How can I do that ?
> tanks

G

It cannot be done via that method. NT4 cannot be slipstreamed. It can
be ghosted.

John

io wrote:

> I don't know if this might work/work for you (haven't tried it myself, yet)... ~ see here: http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/
>
> ... it would be nice to know ...
>
> regards,
>
> io
>
>
> "Steve Légaré" <SteveLgar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4ED86B71-C25D-43CA-98AD-6129515580BE@microsoft.com...
>
>>I have NT Workstation 4.0 (SP1) on CD. I would like ton create a new CD of NT
>>WKS including SP6a. How can I do that ?
>>tanks
>
>

io

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

"John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message news:%23$0e9NlFFHA.3888@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> It cannot be done via that method. NT4 cannot be slipstreamed. It can
> be ghosted.
>
> John
>

Hello John John,

I don't fully understand about "slipstream", but I guess you are talking about a cd that has the NT4 setup integrated with the sp6a updates, &ct., &ct.

I suppose some sort of integration could be done if one knew enough how to do it, it's just code after all, & maybe it wouldn't even fit the definition of "slipstream", but would accomplish whatever Steve wants to do. He didn't mention "slipstream", but his query seems to be "nipped in the bud", as it were, without any real explanation or exploration.

Anyway, for my part, I'm seeking a way to create a repair disk to fix the sp6a and srp after one runs a repair process (~~just in case ...). The problem is described in Q307866. But because it seems MS no longer offers the patches Q307866 and Srpfixup.exe (or, at least, I cannot find them), a person having a standalone machine (in this case a notebook) must use the method described in Q164471: "Replacing System Files Using a modified Emergency Repair Disk". Since the files that need to be replaced will not fit on a floppy, it would be a help to have this repair disk on a cd (-- even a rw cd, so the ERD part can be updated as necessary). I think this could be done, though I'm not quite sure how to do it yet.

I am new to NT & I'm not sure what the pitfalls might be, but I suspect there is a solution to these problems if people are encouraged to look for them.

io (~~ not going _back_ to XP ...)

If you can get them to ask the wrong questions, you don't have to worry about answers ~~~ Thomas Pynchon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> io wrote:
>
> > I don't know if this might work/work for you (haven't tried it myself, yet)... ~ see here: http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/
> >
> > ... it would be nice to know ...
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > io
> >
> >
> > "Steve Légaré" <SteveLgar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4ED86B71-C25D-43CA-98AD-6129515580BE@microsoft.com...
> >
> >>I have NT Workstation 4.0 (SP1) on CD. I would like ton create a new CD of NT
> >>WKS including SP6a. How can I do that ?
> >>tanks
> >
> >

G

io wrote:

> I don't fully understand about "slipstream", but I guess you are talking about a cd that has the NT4 setup integrated with the sp6a updates, &ct., &ct.

Yes, slipstreaming is the capability to incorporate Service Packs onto
the installation CD. It did not come to be until Windows 2000 and then
only after the release of SP2 or SP3.

> I suppose some sort of integration could be done if one knew enough how to do it, it's just code after all, & maybe it wouldn't even fit the definition of "slipstream", but would accomplish whatever Steve wants to do. He didn't mention "slipstream", but his query seems to be "nipped in the bud", as it were, without any real explanation or exploration.

I suppose anything is possible, it might "just be code" but people who
are a heck of a lot smarter than me have tried and failed. The brains
at Microsoft tell us it can't be done. The brains at Dell I am sure
fiddled with this and they couldn't do it, they sold millions of NT4
workstations and they could never slipstream NT4. Now, Bart, who
created Bart's PE, is one smart cookie, he knows his stuff and his
software is proof to that. If he says he can slipstream NT4 then it's
worth a try!

> Anyway, for my part, I'm seeking a way to create a repair disk to fix the sp6a and srp after one runs a repair process (~~just in case ...). The problem is described in Q307866. But because it seems MS no longer offers the patches Q307866 and Srpfixup.exe (or, at least, I cannot find them), a person having a standalone machine (in this case a notebook) must use the method described in Q164471: "Replacing System Files Using a modified Emergency Repair Disk". Since the files that need to be replaced will not fit on a floppy, it would be a help to have this repair disk on a cd (-- even a rw cd, so the ERD part can be updated as necessary). I think this could be done, though I'm not quite sure how to do it yet.

Most annoying that the files are no longer available for download.
Looks like you have to do it the hard way or maybe someone might have
archived copies that they could email you.

John

Calvin

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004

Hi IO,

contact me via the email on the NT4 Reference site, http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au I
have archived copies of all of the relevant files for NT4 including the items
you require.

I took the step of 'grabbing everything' from the MS site about 12 months ago,
fully expecting they would pull this stunt and suddenly 'obsolete' all the NT4
support patches :-(

Calvin.