Apps disappear when I open them

Blooregard

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Certain apps/windows close or disappear as soon as I open them. I suspect that the problems arose after the last update. When the latest update happened, I ran into several problems with sound card drivers and audio related programs. I have fixed all these but am now stumped. I have attempted to rollback to before the latest update but it fails. I've tried the troubleshooting suggested by Microsoft (they say it has to do with the windows store) As usual, the support from Microsoft was no help.

So far I have noticed this issue with the Microsoft News Reader, the Microsoft Weather App, and when I try to access Windows Update and Security settings . I can get into the Windows Update and Security screen but when I try to select anything, ( Update History for example) the screen briefly appears then disappears, no error message.

***UPDATE***
I have tried creating another user account but the same thing happens.

I now have access to my Update and Security settings, thanks to the solution suggested by Colif. However, the News and Weather apps still do not work.

I contacted Microsoft support (again) and this time they had me run through what they call an "in-place upgrade". This re-installed windows without affecting my programs or files. This removed the "anniversary" update. The app issue continues. Ran windows update and applied the anniversary update, still no luck. However, this time the update did not cause any problems with my audio drivers.

***SECOND UPDATE***

Well, I've replaced the hard drive, re-installed win 10 and STILL having the same issue. It appears as if it is a hardware issue or some problem with some other piece of software or configuration.

I have other (older) computers that run the News and Weather apps just fine. I even have a 12 year old Windows XP system that when upgraded to win 10 will run the apps in question. I just cannot get this particular PC to run these apps, which is unfortunate as this is my main computer. I can find no reasonable explanation for this.

***THIRD UPDATE***

Got the most recent update and the problem has resolved itself. I guess that confirms that it was a Microsoft problem. Now all my apps open. But, now I have a new problem. Now all of my Chrome Apps on my fullscreen start menu have the same (Google Chrome) icon. Before the update, these icons corresponded to the page they were opening (like Facebook and Netflix) Dammit!

Colif

Win 11 Master

Blooregard

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Thanks for the suggestion but it did not work. Tried creating another account, tried both admin and standard user, still having same issue. Microsoft News, Weather and any of the update and security settings disappear immediately after opening. I have not found any other apps or settings that respond the same

Colif

Win 11 Master
See if this helps

right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
copy/paste this next command into window - needs to be exact
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
once its finished, type SFC /scannow and press enter

SFC cleans system files, DISM cleans the files SFC uses to clean system

I don't think it will help with apps but it might help with Windows update not working

Did you try this: https://mspoweruser.com/mspu-solution-windows-10-apps-not-opening-or-hangs-on-launch/

Blooregard

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Thanks for the help. I did as you suggested and as you said, it didn't fix the app issue but it did fix the update issue. I also tried the website you suggested but even after the app reset, the issue still continues.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, I just noticed your edit

clean install tutorial: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
Yes, you can fresh install an upgrade from win 7, its what most of us have, When you get to page asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 should auto activate once installed.

Fresh install may fix it but I don't know what the problem is, the store seems to be troublesome and the usual fixes like SFC & DISM don't do anything for them. I wish there was an easy fix.