Apps lowering each other's volume

Syftelurth

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
I've been having this problem where my programs lower each other's volume if they get too loud.

For example I'll be playing a game, Minecraft for example, and I'll have music on in the background.

While I do nothing in Minecraft my music will get increasingly louder until it gets to presumably its original sound volume, but when I start digging dirt for example (very sharp, high tones), the music volume will drop very rapidly to about 5-10% the volume it was at before.

This has been going on since I re-installed Windows 10 recently, with some new hardware involved, most notably removing my PCI installed audio card and installing a new motherboard, and I also got a new headset.

I am currently using my mobo's on-board sound card.

I don't have a real clue how or why this is happening since I've undergone so much hardware changes, but I can say that the problem is showing feedback in my volume mixer, where the volume will visibly get louder and once another program makes a quick, loud sound, the volume will visibly drop.

Changing headsets didn't work, obviously, and I've messed around in sound settings for both Windows and Realtek HD Sound Manager for quite a while, without result.

Turning loudness equalization off for my speakers will only decrease the overall sound volume of all my programs, but it doesn't resolve the problem.

The problem is most notably annoying when trying to play games with a vo-ip on the side, while somebody is talking they will almost completely cancel out my audio for the duration.

Solution
"Turning loudness equalization off for my speakers will only decrease the overall sound volume of all my programs, but it doesn't resolve the problem."
I would keep it turned off though AND actually disable all effects.

Also, try this:
Control Panel > Sound > "Communications" tab and select "Do Nothing"

If that's not the cause then it could be one of your audio driver applications but those tend to all be different.
I would uninstall any software included with your headset (unless it's a USB set, which I don't recommend).
"Turning loudness equalization off for my speakers will only decrease the overall sound volume of all my programs, but it doesn't resolve the problem."
I would keep it turned off though AND actually disable all effects.

Also, try this:
Control Panel > Sound > "Communications" tab and select "Do Nothing"

If that's not the cause then it could be one of your audio driver applications but those tend to all be different.
I would uninstall any software included with your headset (unless it's a USB set, which I don't recommend).

Solution

Syftelurth

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
I have uninstalled some old Xonar STX drivers from an audio card I used to use, and I have reinstalled my Realtek HD Audio Drivers, and the latter seems to have solved the issue, so far, but maybe the problem is just less prominent now.

I will post back later if the problem isn't resolved but for now the reinstall has seemed to fix the issue.

Thank you for the suggestion, dark_lord69.