Aqua Computer Introduces kyroM.2 SSD Watercooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadgety

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
So this is an abstract treatise without any empirically relevant information, such as a curve displaying the effect at various temperatures, or how much the lifespan is shortened, or at what levels performance is throttled, or how hot the SSDs get, or what sort of water temps one can expect in a water cooled rig, or how much the SSDs are cooled. That would have been an interesting read.

big_tiger

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
If heat was anywhere close to an issue for the M.2 SSD's dont you think they would put a passive cooler on the SSD? The heatsinks are making contact with a plastic sticker on the Samsung SSD.
There are more unnecessary performance addons for PC than cars. "Should I buy a rear racing spoiler for a FWD car, or a waterblock for my SSD?"

gilbadon

Distinguished
So this is an abstract treatise without any empirically relevant information, such as a curve displaying the effect at various temperatures, or how much the lifespan is shortened, or at what levels performance is throttled, or how hot the SSDs get, or what sort of water temps one can expect in a water cooled rig, or how much the SSDs are cooled. That would have been an interesting read.

This is in the news section, not the review section. While I agree, statistics with actual effectiveness matrices are better for the end user, those things do not belong in a news release as in most cases the product has not been through private testing.

On a different note I would argue watercooling an SSD is purely for aesthetics and will provide extremely limited functionality much like watercooling memory.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Thanks for reading the news post, which attempts to exhibit the appropriate level of brevity for a news post. The throttling temperature thresholds vary depending upon the SSD controller, NAND and DRAM employed. The form factor and intended environment also factor into the equation. As such, there is no general rule of thumb, but these specifications can be found on a case-by-case basis in user manuals.

Valantar

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
If you're running constant random writes, it's a good thing to have. Otherwise, completely unnecessary. Anandtech did a thorough performance review of a heatsink on the 256GB and 512GB Samsung 950 Pro. (http://www.anandtech.com/show/9856/angelbird-wings-px1-m2-adapter-review-do-ssds-need-heatsinks/8) Then again, there are people who want every single thing in their computer water cooled. Some people can't be helped.

There are many reasons to water cool a PC. Though, like with RAID, we still can't seem to be able to shake the idea that moving to WC on the desktop is going to result in some major improvement. Those days are over. As often as not, when OCing a CPU, the voltage becomes a concern at or before thermals do. None of the non reference 980 Ti's get anywhere close to GPU throttling and any increased performance you might get is as likely to come from having the VRM / memory cooler as vendors tend to ignore that (EVGA SC series is prime example).

On the box I am using the primary result of water cooling the CPU (4.6 GHz on 4770k @ 75C max core) GPU (26% OC @ 44C) was to reduce noise. The build succeeded a bit too well in that respect as more than once I have tried to turn the PC on when the monitor was in sleep mode.

But another group of water coolers are hobbyist and like those who customize their cars, such hobbyist are interested in the aesthetics and, if you will "creating a work of art". Will this thing lengthen SSD life, yes of course. Will it do so in a way that will impact the user ? Not very likely ... the thing will be in a landfill somewhere long before it they would benefit from the extended life provided.... but that is also true of CPUs and GPUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djqEM74rA_g

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
about time...I am surprised that manufactures of M.2 products have not come up with this set up to address the scorching temps...leave it to the Germans to figure it out

Valantar

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014

The NAND, or the controller? The controller is - by far - the hottest and most power hungry component in an SSD. I've never heard of NAND chips reaching temperatures worth calling 'hot.'

Also, when is an SSD in a consumer PC ever under "full load" for more than a few minutes? Never. You might see sequential operations lasting a while, but hardly ever anything random or mixed exceeding QD2, which is what consumes the most power.

Questors

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2004

Thanks for reading the news post, which attempts to exhibit the appropriate level of brevity for a news post. The throttling temperature thresholds vary depending upon the SSD controller, NAND and DRAM employed. The form factor and intended environment also factor into the equation. As such, there is no general rule of thumb, but these specifications can be found on a case-by-case basis in user manuals.

"attempts to exhibit the appropriate level of brevity for a news post" This quote fits most new articles in this section, but this "news brevity" is also used for purposes of judgement of a product or idea resulting in a mini-review rather than new brief. Take the X99 FTW K news article. The author attempted to make judgements about motherboard capability from several standpoints that should be reserved for a true working review. This has presented at least two negative impressions of this particular product as revealed by individuals at the EVGA forums. The news contributors, must hold themselves accountable for what they have to say. TH is a respected site and the opinions expressed by it's staff and contributors carry weight with readers.

Questors

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2004

That is a fantastic idea! I have been trying to push water cooled PCI Express slots and SATA connectors for some time now. It seems a bit slow to catch on...go figure?! ;) :D

Maybe we can water cool LEDs!!!!! OMGosh! :pt1cable: TeH Bomb!

Status
Not open for further replies.