Question Archer C6 Version 3.20 unusable after upgrading ?

Dec 13, 2018
I recently upgraded my Archer C6 hardware virsion 3.20 router using the Android tplink app as it was showing update available.

After the install and successful setup, my internet speed went down and i cant even browse. I downloaded the 3 firmwares from tp link website and tried installing firmware manually from my pc by accessing tp link router user information page. Even after installing the oldest firmware the problem stays.

How to fix this?

Last edited:
Have you tried plugging your pc directly into the modem to be sure your internet did not just happen to go down at the same time.

Most modems you must power cycle every time you change the device. Did you power cycle the modem after you upgraded the firmware on the router. Modems are really stupid they like to lock onto the first mac address they see. Maybe the router was using a different mac address on the wan port for a short period of time while the update was in progress.

I would check the logs in the router. You should see it get a IP on the wan port and almost all modern routers have the ability to do simple ping commands from the router itself.

Also if you have not already tried it do a factory reset on the router. Some times different firmware levels will not be compatible with older configurations so you are best off always starting fresh when you do a firmware upgrade.

Dec 13, 2018
Have you tried plugging your pc directly into the modem to be sure your internet did not just happen to go down at the same time.

Most modems you must power cycle every time you change the device. Did you power cycle the modem after you upgraded the firmware on the router. Modems are really stupid they like to lock onto the first mac address they see. Maybe the router was using a different mac address on the wan port for a short period of time while the update was in progress.

I would check the logs in the router. You should see it get a IP on the wan port and almost all modern routers have the ability to do simple ping commands from the router itself.

Also if you have not already tried it do a factory reset on the router. Some times different firmware levels will not be compatible with older configurations so you are best off always starting fresh when you do a firmware upgrade.
Yes i did that, and I don't know why it was showing MAC mismatch. But after that i unplugged my optical fibre wire off the ONU device and wiped the tip of it using damp cloth and Voila, the internet speed is back again. But after 2 hours same thing happened and i had to wipe the tip of the optical fibre again for it to work. What could cause the problem?

You shouldn't really be messing with the fiber. All it takes is a finger print to reduce the light. What you really need to clean it is a lint free cloth and alcohol.

If this is the problem you should see some kind lights change in some way on the ONU device.

This is hard to say for sure. If you had done nothing with your router then this is something the ISP needs to fix related to the signal levels. Some ONT boxes you can get access to and see information like light levels and others only the ISP can do this.

Since you change the router firmware it adds to the complexity. It is still likely it is the ISP issue but it could be some strange issue with the router.

When you call the ISP don't tell them you messed with the firmware on your router they will immediately blame that and not even check their equipment.

Reactions: tridibeshdashingggg

Latest posts