Archos Joins The Windows PC Stick Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
To be actually productive they should release a version with 4GB and 64-128GB of internal storage. That could actually replace many web-browsing/streaming/office machines.

To be actually productive they should release a version with 4GB and 64-128GB of internal storage. That could actually replace many web-browsing/streaming/office machines.

You can use an SD card for more storage, so I don't mind that part too much, but I definitely agree that someone needs to release a 4 GB version. I think whoever does that will get a real advantage over the others.

ragenalien

Distinguished
May 6, 2011

You can use an SD card for more storage, so I don't mind that part too much, but I definitely agree that someone needs to release a 4 GB version. I think whoever does that will get a real advantage over the others.

The problem would be that they are all likely using intel's reference board. Which is why we keep seeing the same old bay trail used.

tom10167

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
can someone give me a few application scenarios? This seems really cool but I'm old and can't really think of when someone might use this.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Windows based ablets are even cheaper and smaller for someone who wants to compare value for similar capability.

Can't be 4GB as they are running 32 bit version.
A better buy is the ASUS X205TA same specs and more like a screen and 8hr battery runtime.

Currently $149.99 at BB

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-11-6-laptop-intel-atom-2gb-memory-32gb-flash-storage-blue/3953761.p?id=1219610986272&skuId=3953761

Its nice but id still need a mouse and a keyboard.
I hate those touchscreen things, thou I understand why companies are pushing them so hard: touchsreens have a higher chance of getting worn out sooner so the user will replace it.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Its nice but id still need a mouse and a keyboard.
I hate those touchscreen things, thou I understand why companies are pushing them so hard: touchsreens have a higher chance of getting worn out sooner so the user will replace it.
I would not say they wear out faster. My workplace uses touchscreens on 90% of its machinery and they get tapped on hundreds of times a day(many hit a lot harder than a regular user ever would do to some employees not giving a damn) and many of them are 6+ years old and have 0 issues. Ive only seen one ever need fixing and that was a very old style that only had the backlight bulb go bad,, nothing wrong with the touch interface.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
As soon as one of these sticks has one of these Atom processors http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/46629/Cherry-Trail, 3-4GB of RAM for the $150 then we're talking interesting.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
can someone give me a few application scenarios? This seems really cool but I'm old and can't really think of when someone might use this.

personally, an emulation box for me... loading up every console through the super nintendo, possibly n64 and ps1

for most people, they didnt get a smart tv and want something to use the internet with... most people dont need a pc or even something as powerful as a tablet for what they want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.