Arctic freezer 13 enough for i5 8600k?

Solution

I assume you have the correct mounting hardware for that socket, and that your overclocking since it's a K series chip. Yes, it is plenty for a stock or mildly overclocked 8600k. You can expect reasonable temps at 4.6ghz, it shouldn't thermal throttle but depending on the voltage it may run a bit hot.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

I assume you have the correct mounting hardware for that socket, and that your overclocking since it's a K series chip. Yes, it is plenty for a stock or mildly overclocked 8600k. You can expect reasonable temps at 4.6ghz, it shouldn't thermal throttle but depending on the voltage it may run a bit hot.

Solution
The Arctic Freezer 13 is rated for 200w according to the following detailed specifications:
https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/freezer-13.html
The 8600k puts out 95w stock and according to this article, a 5ghz overclock brings this tdp up to about 143w:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3157-intel-i5-8600k-review-overclocking-vs-8700k-8400/page-3

In conclusion, i'd say this cooler would adequately dissipate heat generated from an i5 8600k, granted ambient temperatures and case air flow are reasonable.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

That is most likely tested on an open air test bench with a fairly low ambient temp, 5ghz is a but much for that cooler. Unless you get lucky with a high asic quality chip, it will be in high 80's low 90's with that cooler (again depending on ambient)

The end user will most likely not achieve an extreme overclock of 5ghz and will not be consistently placing the cpu under 100% load, continuously stressing with Prime95 or Blender. This cooler is a recommended for a 140w TDP chip which will take roughly a 5ghz overclock to achieve under a consistent full load. This cooler is rated at "max cooler performance of 200w" that the chip will likely never reach. For that reason this CPU cooler will adequately dissipate heat generated from the 8600k.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

What that means is it can dissipate the heat enough that the temps won't let the chip thermal throttle, that doesn't mean the chip won't get uncomfortably hot. Which it will at 5ghz under a load like gaming or rendering. Also, that i5 is totaly capable of 5ghz, and 5 is a fairly common OC for these new 8th gen chips, especially the 8700k, there is no telling if the OP will get or has a chip with good enough ASIC quality to hit 5, but it has become fairly common.

To clarify, in this link:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3157-intel-i5-8600k-review-overclocking-vs-8700k-8400/page-3
This link was only used to find out what the 8600k's peak wattage which is only 143.91 watts, under full load 5ghz. This has nothing to do with what case or test bench being used. The CPU cooler can handle an extreme of 200w. Gaming will not place this CPU under a consistent load of 100% and even if the end user were to render with this machine at 5ghz, the processor's total wattage cannot exceed and won't come close the extreme of 200w. This gives additional headroom for external factors.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

I know the cooler has about 50W to spare in headroom, and that gaming doesn't put a CPU under full load, but it would still get the CPU to a pretty high usage, depending on the game and settings, which would cause the CPU to run hot. Also, just because the cooler is good enough to handle that CPU at 5ghz does not mean it won't run hot, and we don't know the ambient temps the OP will have, not the case and cooling solution. It could still run mid 80's, with air cooling you can't get cooler than ambient, i assume you realize that, so we normally measure the difference between CPU temp and ambient as a factor, so if a CPU is running say 60 C above ambient, probably typical for a system like this(depending on case and cooling solution), so if ambient is 20c the CPU will be around 80c, which is fairly acceptable for such a big OC, but if ambient is say 25-30C, you be looking at 85-90c, not very acceptable temps. It doesn't really matter how much the cooler can handle, temps are more dependent on room ambient temps.

Lets be clear on how the cpu cooler wattage rating works. When a CPU cooler's specifications state recommended wattage is 140w, this means the CPU cooler CAN effectively dissipate heat for that processor of equal wattage. Otherwise there'd be no point in having these ratings/specifications. End of story. I see a lot of words like "assume", "probably" and "fairly" in your posts, which can only be speculated. My posts state FACTS from ACTUAL documentation.

Mar 9, 2018

okay thanks

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

I'm not trying to dispute the facts here, I know your posting facts and I agree with them. My point is that the cooling capacity of the cooler isn't the only factor in CPU temps. voltages, type of CPU, load variations, thermal paste quality and age, cooler design, case airflow, ambient temps all effect the temp of a CPU, it doesn't always matter what cooler your using as long as it has plenty of cooling capacity, which the Freezer 13 does and that is not what i'm trying to dispute, but the issue is ambient temps and case airflow.

If the OP has low ambient temps and good case airflow then the OP should see around high 60's to mid 70's under a gaming like load, and at most high 70's under full load. If the OP doesn't have very good case airflow, say 1 fan maybe and a passively cooled GPU, and fairly high ambient temps because of summer around the corner, then the op may see 80's to 90's under load. Would you not agree?