Arctic Makes A Passive Cooler For AM4 APUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Uranium is just heavy and no good for cooling.
Pure silver on the other hand... but then the same size should weigh 2.17 kg (4.8 pounds).
Copper isn't much lighter at 1.85 kg.
I admit that a copper base, or even heat pipes, would be nice though.

We'll see where the actual price end up. It's possible that they charge a lot because they expect to sell only few anyway and need to cover the development cost.

The product page has at least one obvious error though:
"No fan means no dust and no maintenance over time."
If there's any dust in the case some of it will stick to the heatsink!

saint_craig

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Since were talking about current processors that dissipate heat in the Pentium 3 realm Who the eff cares what it looks like.

alextheblue

Distinguished

It's not about "looks" in the manner you're implying. Nobody truly cares about what shape/color it is or whether it has bling. There's an article touting a new passive cooler for AM4, and then you click on it and go "Wow that brings back memories of coolers from my socket 7 days". It's an outdated, primitive, ultra cheap hunk of aluminum with poor cooling capability, and ultimately there's nothing interesting about it. It can only handle the lowest TDP desktop chips on the market today, and it can only keep them from throttling with the aid of good case cooling (fans).

alextheblue

Distinguished
Yikes Intel platform tax is one thing but that's a bit steeper than I was expecting! :p

Also did you look at the cooling data on that page? I don't know whether to be more disappointed with the results of the Arctic Cooler or the stock Intel cooler (both tested with two 120mm unnamed PWM case fans installed).

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
There are some serious suggestions that the prices shown are not the actual sale prices once these products become available.
That seems reasonable given that the Alpine 11 can be found at about €15...

Jun 21, 2018
This is one of the best coolers that I've got. Compared to my old cooler, my pc is a bit quieter than before.

I've been playing a whole night without any annoying sound from my PC.

Check this out: https://www.gamerswift.com/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-is-removing-the-map-selection-feature-619/

Status
Not open for further replies.