Question Arctic P12 not spinning when connected to the cpu fan header ?

lastwood79

Honorable
Apr 16, 2018
just bought arctic p12 but not spinning when connected to cpu fan header even not spinning at all when start/boot up my pc tried to connect another fan to pst header , the fan connected to pst header working normally but the p12 not spinning at all, tried another fan to cpu fan header working normally it means the cpu fan header is not faulty , tried the p12 to sysfan (3pin) somehow it working and spinning tried back to cpu fan header (4 pin) not spinning again , what's wrong?? i use an old motherboard msi h97m e35 the 4 pin only on cpu fan header remaining header are 3 pin (sysfan) , bios setting also doesnt have PWM or DC option tried to turn off smart fan mode also doesnt work..im out of idea is this normal??

summary:
-tested different pwm fan connected to cpu fan header (enermax TB silince 4 pin fan) works fine
-tested arctic p12 to different fan header (sysfan 3pin header) spinning normally
- tried to connect enermax fan to arctic p12 PST header and arctic p12 pwm connected to cpu fan header , result arctic fan not spinning but enermax fan spinning
- tried reset cmos , still no results
- tried to turn off smart fan mode also no result , the fan always showing 0 RPM

pic : View: https://imgur.com/a/Rux4jw8

lastwood79

Honorable
Apr 16, 2018
While the fan is hooked to the CPU_FAN header, what happens when you have the fans set to full speed in BIOS? If that brings life into the fan, then you should up the minimum RPM for the CPU_FAN header.
nothing happen , my bios setting for fan i can only tick smart mode , all full speed , all set default, all set cancel..when i tried to use all full speed (save and restart then shutdown and turn on again ) still not working, all this trial i noticed when i turn on pc the fan tried to move a bit but not spinning ( idk how to describe)

Lutfij

Titan
i noticed when i turn on pc the fan tried to move a bit but not spinning ( idk how to describe)
You don't need to, it means the fan is getting power but not enough power to turn the motor on your fans, i.e, it's not getting minimum voltage necessary. It is however getting that off your other fan headers.

You might want to take the fan and hook it up to a more concurrent platform's CPU_FAN header and see if it does the same thing.

lastwood79

Honorable
Apr 16, 2018
i noticed when i turn on pc the fan tried to move a bit but not spinning ( idk how to describe)
You don't need to, it means the fan is getting power but not enough power to turn the motor on your fans, i.e, it's not getting minimum voltage necessary. It is however getting that off your other fan headers.

You might want to take the fan and hook it up to a more concurrent platform's CPU_FAN header and see if it does the same thing.
im sorry i dont get it , how do i plug more cpu_fan header? my motherboard only has 1 cpu_fan header , and 2 sysfan which is 3 pin header

lastwood79

Honorable
Apr 16, 2018
I meant find a donor system to hook the fan up to, not your motherboard.
unfortunately it very difficult to find local pc shop to just test the pc fan , i noticed fan voltage on bios my cpu vcc voltage only get 1.712 while system 3.300 and 5.500 , while i search on official arctic website this p12 starting voltage need 3.9v , then i tried to raise my cpu temp to 55c also nothing response to the fan 😞
View: https://imgur.com/a/7LEkiJJ

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I suspect a faulty Arctic fan. When yo connect it to a 3-pin header it works, and in that situation the fan is relying totally on the Voltage supplied by the header and does NOT try to use any PWM signal because it does not get one. (Just to verify, when you connect to a 3-pin SYS_FAN header and the fan works, does its speed CHANGE if you set that header to a fast or slow speed?) BUT when connected to a 4-pin header it will get a full12 VDC power supply from Pin #2 BUT will try to use the PWM signal from Pin #4 to slow the fan speed down. In that situation the fan fails to start and run, so i suspect it has a failure inside. Contact Arctic Tech Support.

lastwood79

Honorable
Apr 16, 2018
I suspect a faulty Arctic fan. When yo connect it to a 3-pin header it works, and in that situation the fan is relying totally on the Voltage supplied by the header and does NOT try to use any PWM signal because it does not get one. (Just to verify, when you connect to a 3-pin SYS_FAN header and the fan works, does its speed CHANGE if you set that header to a fast or slow speed?) BUT when connected to a 4-pin header it will get a full12 VDC power supply from Pin #2 BUT will try to use the PWM signal from Pin #4 to slow the fan speed down. In that situation the fan fails to start and run, so i suspect it has a failure inside. Contact Arctic Tech Support.
no i didn't tried / didn't think of it to control the fan speed when i connected to 3 pin sys_fan , but it was spinning like my other fans does and when i connected back to 4 pin header the fan wasn't spin at all just twitch a bit , i already sent the fan back to get replacement but i think it will take a while

lastwood79

Honorable
Apr 16, 2018
got new replacement fan today and the problem still same 😭, i didn't tried to plug the fan into sys_fan1 (4 pin) before and it work on sys_fan1 but didn't work on cpu_fan , looks like i have to use this fan as case fan instead of cpu fan 😭