[SOLVED] Arctic P8 or F8 cooling fan?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2849646
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2849646

Hi guys,

i’m after 80mm fans to swap out some noisy fans in a dell (cpu and case fan). One is SFF and the other is a DT. Both accept PWM/4 pin fans.

F8 is optimised for airflow and the P8 is a pressure fan (better for cpus I think). My dilemma is: should I get the 5 pack F8 or the 5 pack P8? I don’t want to buy them separately as they cost too much.

5 pack P8 or 5 pack F8?

One thing i’m confused about is if I do get the P8 which is optimised for the cpu, can I also use it as a case fan?

And finally, are these fans both likely to be quieter than the stock dell fans? Main reason for upgrading is that I find the stock fans too loud.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
SFF is a very small case, very very little air to move around in it, so my logic is: have a better fan for cooling the cpu over using a case fan to do it, and the compromise will be having to use a cpu fan as a case fan with reduced airflow, but SFF has very little air to move around, so hopefully won't be an issue.

Still a bit concerned about the revs/noise. Will they be quiet or loud? I don't really have a guage for 0.3 sones as i've never come across the measure before!
Noise is mostly associated with RPM although fin shapes also matters. Slower fans are generally quieter. Fortunately sound is wave so two fans doesn't mean twice the noise but much less than that. With more fans you would be able to run them at lower speed to...
Hi guys,

i’m after 80mm fans to swap out some noisy fans in a dell (cpu and case fan). One is SFF and the other is a DT. Both accept PWM/4 pin fans.

F8 is optimised for airflow and the P8 is a pressure fan (better for cpus I think). My dilemma is: should I get the 5 pack F8 or the 5 pack P8? I don’t want to buy them separately as they cost too much.

5 pack P8 or 5 pack F8?

One thing i’m confused about is if I do get the P8 which is optimised for the cpu, can I also use it as a case fan?

And finally, are these fans both likely to be quieter than the stock dell fans? Main reason for upgrading is that I find the stock fans too loud.

Thank you!
Difference is in static pressure. High static pressure is recommended for liquid coolers/radiators and other uses where it has to push air thru thick fins. For case fans you normally need more air flow.
On the other hand, with 5 fans instead of 2,it should make little to no difference.
PS. If it's a mall and cramped case you may be better off with high pressure fans,

D

Deleted member 2849646

Difference is in static pressure. High static pressure is recommended for liquid coolers/radiators and other uses where it has to push air thru thick fins. For case fans you normally need more air flow.
On the other hand, with 5 fans instead of 2,it should make little to no difference.
PS. If it's a mall and cramped case you may be better off with high pressure fans,

SFF is a very small case, very very little air to move around in it, so my logic is: have a better fan for cooling the cpu over using a case fan to do it, and the compromise will be having to use a cpu fan as a case fan with reduced airflow, but SFF has very little air to move around, so hopefully won't be an issue.

Still a bit concerned about the revs/noise. Will they be quiet or loud? I don't really have a guage for 0.3 sones as i've never come across the measure before!

Noise is mostly associated with RPM although fin shapes also matters. Slower fans are generally quieter. Fortunately sound is wave so two fans doesn't mean twice the noise but much less than that. With more fans you would be able to run them at lower speed to same effect and so reduce noise to minimum.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS