Arctic Releases New XBMC Barebones & HTPCs

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]Would be a great little unit if it had something greater than an Atom.[/citation]

why all video is offloaded to the GPU, the extremely light atoms retains x86 as apposed to using some rinky dink mobile processor.

curiosul

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]why all video is offloaded to the GPU, the extremely light atoms retains x86 as apposed to using some rinky dink mobile processor.[/citation]

I guess/hope he meant something like AMD APU (apparently the only department where AMD still matters).

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
This is quite simply an awesome price for a basic office PC- and it would work well. what more can you need?
I know that is not how they are marketing it, but it will work wonders. think about this as a dual boot system, with RDP on a slim O/S load.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]Would be a great little unit if it had something greater than an Atom.[/citation]
Or maybe a newer SoC Atom...

Rafterman414

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
I have always thought about using something like this for video game console emulation. I am sure it could handle NES/SNES/Genesis and whatnot, maybe even N64 and PSX. Not too sure about PS2 or Gamecube.

I usually just hook my desktop or my laptop up to my TV with an HDMI cable but it would be nice to have a dedicated little media PC there for movies, Netflix, light gaming, etc. I know I could always just use my monitor or laptop for the emulators but I like the nostalgic feeling of playing old games on the TV.

cRACKmONKEY421

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
I would imagine it's been tested well with XBMC. Doesn't look like it's supposed to be a general use PC. For the price, I'd definitely consider one. Seems like a reasonable price. My trickled-down-from-upgrades HTPC uses way more than 60 watts, more ugly, and probably does a crappier job in some other aspects.

richard0403

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
This is great news, especially with the idea "along with an AMD Radeon HD5430M graphics card with 512 MB integrated GDDR3". Yes, it seems like it's a reasonably priced as well. I was browsing for the best htpc grapics card, but this seems like a good buy for a PC unit. Thanks for the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.