[SOLVED] Are 2 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan enough?

amatthews1558

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
Building a PC with a ryzen 7 3700x, and a 5700xt graphics card. Are 2 intake fans in the front and 1 in the back enough? Fan size is 120mm for all 3 fans. My case I bought does have room for 2 more 120mm fans up top but currently do not have the $$ for extra fans. Can I get away with this cooling rig for a while? or will this be a significant issue?

Solution
Welcome to the forums!

Likely not. Tons of people run rigs with 2 intake and 1 exhaust and vice versa. But this can depend on your ambient environment.

Honestly, there is a lot of hype around proper fan arrangement, and when it is NEEDED it can be very effective when set out in different ways. But the important thing is to simply start, then see how your thermals are, and then adapt accordingly. Many people just use a stock case fan layout and never change. I've never had to change the fan layout in my case and thermals are never an issue.

Don't worry too much, just make sure you have cool air coming in, and warm air going out with little to no obstruction and then just monitor and adapt accordingly.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

Likely not. Tons of people run rigs with 2 intake and 1 exhaust and vice versa. But this can depend on your ambient environment.

Honestly, there is a lot of hype around proper fan arrangement, and when it is NEEDED it can be very effective when set out in different ways. But the important thing is to simply start, then see how your thermals are, and then adapt accordingly. Many people just use a stock case fan layout and never change. I've never had to change the fan layout in my case and thermals are never an issue.

Don't worry too much, just make sure you have cool air coming in, and warm air going out with little to no obstruction and then just monitor and adapt accordingly.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS