Question Are 3rd Gen ThreadRipper CPUs compatible with x399 chipset?

guferr

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
So, while I'm mostly sure of the answer for this question, I'm making it just to have confirmation while Gigabyte takes their 7 business days to answer me.

AMD's site says that x399 is compatible with 1st and 2nd Gen, but doesn't say it isn't compatible with 3rd gen.

It also doesn't say, on it's site introducing 3rd Gen, that it isn't compatible with x399 either.

All the posts I see saying it wouldn't have backwards compatibility with x399 are from before its launch, none confirms it.

And to make things worse, Gigabyte's site about their x399 motherboard (Designare Ex) doesn't say anything about the generations, only say it supports ThreadRipper CPU's.

I'm fairly certain it needs a TRX40 chipset, but it isn't for me, it's for the research institute where I work, who got confused in the purchase, so I need a good confirmation so convince them and document it properly.

If you confirm it I can start disassembling it and putting back on the box while I wait for Gigabye's (or AMD's) answer.

Last edited:

guferr

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
3rd gen has sTRX4 socket
1/2nd gen has TR4 socket
that should answer your question

Ah yes, I forgot that could serve.

Damn AMD, why do you that, create a physically identical but electrically different socket. Damn.

And to make things worse Gigabyte's material doesn't mention it works only on 1st and 2nd generations, I can comprehend how they messed the purchase because of that information.

Our team must have lost weeks because of that, and even more days because it fits. If it at least didn't I'd see it wasn't correct many days before.

Ah yes, I forgot that could serve.

Damn AMD, why do you that, create a physically identical but electrically different socket. Damn.

And to make things worse Gigabyte's material doesn't mention it works only on 1st and 2nd generations, I can comprehend how they messed the purchase because of that information.

Our team must have lost weeks because of that, and even more days because it fits. If it at least didn't I'd see it wasn't correct many days before.
they do list it in cpu support page
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X399-DESIGNARE-EX-rev-10/support#support-cpu

guferr

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

But they didn't buy it directly from Gigabyte nor check their site I think.

I personally would have done that, but my institute buys mostly from a single supplier here in Brazil, who gives nearly all of that information. But the supported CPUs list isn't one of them.

And maybe there was some further screw up, because at the time of the purchase the TRX40 version of Designare didn't exist in the site yet, neither the CPU, so they bought the x399 from this site and the CPU from another supplier.

Anyway, thanks for the info, I'll check we'll do now.

guferr

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

Additionally, is there any chance the CPU was damaged by that?

Now this is an information I really doubt I'll find anywhere easily, I tried but with no success.

Edit.: According to these detailed pin maps I'd guess that it wouldn't have major problems, as Vcore and GND pins are the same, but I'm still not sure.

http://www.hwbattle.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=cpumbram&wr_id=169038&ckattempt=2

Last edited: