Question Are Air Conditioner power extension cords reliable ?

Garen D

Reputable
Jul 15, 2020
I've heard these things exist but I have no idea what to look for in terms of specifications. I need one to reach a power outlet as the nearest one(The one that won't trip my breaker which has been a problem with the original socket/circuit I had my AC on due to it most likely being overloaded.) I've found a few on Amazon with great reviews mostly around 4+ stars which are the following.

PRIME EC680503L Air Conditioner and Major Appliance Extension Cord, Gray, 3', Extension Cords - Amazon Canada
Woods 32472 12/3 15' SJTOW Heavy Duty Lighted Extension Cord for Indoor/Outdoor Use, Black, Extension Cords - Amazon Canada
Perfpower Go Green 14/3 Appliance Cord, 15-Feet, Extension Cords - Amazon Canada

AC Specifications:

Nameplate Amps: 11.5
AWG Circuit Size: 14
Rated Volts: 125
Amps: 15
Fuse Size: 15
Time Delay Fuse (or Circuit Breaker): Plug Type
Model: Danby Premiere 13000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
DPAC13009 (Yeah I know its quite old.)

Circuit Breaker Spec:
15 Amps

The current Circuit I used had a 15 Amp Circuit breaker and have seen online that when it comes to how many AMPs your A/C used is determined by the Nameplate amps. I got all the spec information from the owners manual(which is also online). Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, this seemed like the best place to do so.

kanewolf

Titan
I've heard these things exist but I have no idea what to look for in terms of specifications. I need one to reach a power outlet as the nearest one(The one that won't trip my breaker which has been a problem with the original socket/circuit I had my AC on due to it most likely being overloaded.) I've found a few on Amazon with great reviews mostly around 4+ stars which are the following.

PRIME EC680503L Air Conditioner and Major Appliance Extension Cord, Gray, 3', Extension Cords - Amazon Canada
Woods 32472 12/3 15' SJTOW Heavy Duty Lighted Extension Cord for Indoor/Outdoor Use, Black, Extension Cords - Amazon Canada
Perfpower Go Green 14/3 Appliance Cord, 15-Feet, Extension Cords - Amazon Canada

AC Specifications:
Nameplate Amps: 11.5
AWG Circuit Size: 14
Rated Volts: 125
Amps: 15
Fuse Size: 15
Time Delay Fuse (or Circuit Breaker): Plug Type
Model: Danby Premiere 13000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
DPAC13009 (Yeah I know its quite old.)

Circuit Breaker Spec:
15 Amps

The current Circuit I used had a 15 Amp Circuit breaker and have seen online that when it comes to how many AMPs your A/C used is determined by the Nameplate amps. I got all the spec information from the owners manual(which is also online). Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, this seemed like the best place to do so.
Extension cords can be safe. If your AC has a 14AWG cord, then a 12AWG extension would be my recommendation.
Total distance is the important question.
First cord you linked is only 3 ft. Second and third ones are 15ft. The total distance is as important as wire gauge.

Garen D

Reputable
Jul 15, 2020
Extension cords can be safe. If your AC has a 14AWG cord, then a 12AWG extension would be my recommendation.
Total distance is the important question.
First cord you linked is only 3 ft. Second and third ones are 15ft. The total distance is as important as wire gauge.

The length of the extension I need is about 12ft. Any suggestions as to which one I should choose or if there's more reliable brands out there?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Why would 12 AWG be the best if my AC is 14?

Also found another, let me know if theres something wrong with it.

[UL Listed] Cable Matters 2-Pack 16 AWG Heavy Duty AC Power Extension Cord (Power Extension Cable) in 6 Feet (NEMA 5-15P to NEMA 5-15R) : Amazon.ca: Electronics (Theres the 15ft one.)
The 16AWG would be BAD. You don't want a smaller gauge (16) feeding a larger gauge (14 on the AC unit). That can cause the 16AWG to overheat.
You want to use a same or larger gauge to ensure that you don't overheat the cord.

Reactions: Garen D

Garen D

Reputable
Jul 15, 2020
The 16AWG would be BAD. You don't want a smaller gauge (16) feeding a larger gauge (14 on the AC unit). That can cause the 16AWG to overheat.
You want to use a same or larger gauge to ensure that you don't overheat the cord.

Is there something wrong with using the 14/3 gauge wire? (This one Perfpower Go Green 14/3 Appliance Cord, 12-Feet, Extension Cords - Amazon Canada ) The AC uses 14 AWG wiring and I'm just curious as to why you chose the 12 AWG one(Woods 32472 12/3 15' SJTOW Heavy Duty Lighted Extension Cord for Indoor/Outdoor Use, Black, Extension Cords - Amazon Canada ) instead of the other one. IIRC is it because of the extension cord length I need ?(~12ft)

kanewolf

Titan
Is there something wrong with using the 14/3 gauge wire? (This one Perfpower Go Green 14/3 Appliance Cord, 12-Feet, Extension Cords - Amazon Canada ) The AC uses 14 AWG wiring and I'm just curious as to why you chose the 12 AWG one(Woods 32472 12/3 15' SJTOW Heavy Duty Lighted Extension Cord for Indoor/Outdoor Use, Black, Extension Cords - Amazon Canada ) instead of the other one. IIRC is it because of the extension cord length I need ?(~12ft)
I chose the 12 GA because it is the safest answer. It will have the lowest voltage drop, which is easiest on the equipment.
Is 14 AWG "wrong"? At 12 - 15 feet, no. The voltage drop at 15ft on 14AWG is 1%. With 12AWG it is 0.6% -- https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html You can use an online calculator like that to figure the voltage drop. It is desirable to keep voltage drop to 2% or less.
I will always choose the most conservative option, so I would choose the 12AWG cord.