[SOLVED] Are AMD CPUs and GPUs manufactured in the same place?

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Just wondering if AMD use the same manufacturing plant for both, or if they are separate entities and too dissimilar in their method of manufacture for that to be feasible.

Solution
TSMC currently manufactures the silicon chips for Nvidia GPUs, AMD GPUs, AMD CPUs, and Intel GPUs (and some chipsets).
Nvidia has also used Samsung recently for the 30 series.
Global Foundries was originally AMD's CPU production, but AMD sold the company off. It has been quite a few generations since GF made important AMD products.

The CPUs and GPUs are not assembled in the same places. For GPUs each AIB partner or OEM partner has their own fab/assembly for taking the raw chips, circuits, etc and putting them on a board. And fans/coolers are typically manufactured separately as well.

CPUs are built all over the place. But the raw silicon is what comes from TSMC and other foundries. They have to be put on a substrate for LGA or PGA...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
TSMC currently manufactures the silicon chips for Nvidia GPUs, AMD GPUs, AMD CPUs, and Intel GPUs (and some chipsets).
Nvidia has also used Samsung recently for the 30 series.
Global Foundries was originally AMD's CPU production, but AMD sold the company off. It has been quite a few generations since GF made important AMD products.

The CPUs and GPUs are not assembled in the same places. For GPUs each AIB partner or OEM partner has their own fab/assembly for taking the raw chips, circuits, etc and putting them on a board. And fans/coolers are typically manufactured separately as well.

CPUs are built all over the place. But the raw silicon is what comes from TSMC and other foundries. They have to be put on a substrate for LGA or PGA, tested, binned, labeled, etc.

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Solution
Does GloFo no longer make the IO dies for AMD's current, 7000 series, CPU's? I'm pretty sure they are for 5000. The CPU dies are indeed made in Taiwan, TSMC. I seem to remember GloFo declined further investments in node reduction beyond about 12nm, about the time AMD went to TSMC.

But the CPU's are integrated, assembled, whatever you call it when the dies are bonded to the substrate and then tested, all over it seems. I believe Malaysia has a big representation...or used to. I'd imagine GPU integration is similar.

Last edited: