Are AMD Cpus Bad?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pauldavidlozano234

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
Are they bad? Like I mean at heat dissipation and performance in games? I am building a new pc soon and want it to last for about 8 years before I replace it

Solution

You can't get 8GHz out of it unless you are using liquid nitrogen. At most one could get and keep it at is around 5GHz.

Very few games are scaling up to 6 cores right now, the only major titles that seem to be doing that are Battlefield 3 and 4 and Crysis 3, everything else is only using 4 cores at most, even so-called next gen games like Watch Dogs. Most titles are still leaning on one or two cores heavily and maybe only lightly using the 3rd and 4th core. As such, the Core i3s are trouncing all the AMD chips on gaming benchmarks, with Battlefield and Crysis being the only games where AMD's chips are competitive from a performance standpoint.

The only bright spot for AMD's CPUs right now is that they do fare better at multithreaded productivity software, such as video editing programs compared to similarly priced Intel chips. At this point there doesn't seem to be much point in choosing AMD unless you are looking to build a low budget video editing workstation, or you need to build a rig to play Battlefield 4 on a very tight budget.

Every game I have uses 6 cores (some use up to 8). I have tested this in games ranging from Sims 4, to Rust. They all use more than 4 cores. Now is there any significant in game benefit (besides a potentially higher frame rate) like there is when comparing a dual core to a quad core? No. A quad core, six core, and octo core cpu will do fine in gaming with no in game difference between except an extra core to use.

UltraFireFX

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013

I didn't say you could do it in a real-world build, but if you did cool it right, if that involves liquid nitrogen or not, it would still get up to 8GHz

Own a feature that you pay all kinds of extra money to get and not use for as you stated a couple of years? Worrying about having more failure due to more chips is something that needs to be dealt with sooner than later.

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012

And even then the is not a big problem if you know how to manage it and do. Many FX 9590 owners like myself will tell you that.

donuts59

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014

Im not going to turn this into a fight with facts and details, im just saying my fx 9370 does everything i need which includes gaming, streaming, work, homework. I got mine cheaper than the retail price, they aren't complete shit like every intel fan boy try's to make them sound.

I never said it was,

Its just not worth buying over a standard FX8350 for 3 reasons :

Cost for almost zero extra performance above the 8350.
It requires a higher priced motherboard and substantial cooling.
It also has crazy power spikes that would murder lower quality PSUs.

Simply put, its not a CPU for everyone, but for the power user that KNOWS HOW to use it and how to take care of it.

But even then I would get a decent 990FX motherboard and an FX 8370E and overclock the hell out of it to surpass FX9370 levels ANYWAY...

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012

First of all I hope you do that and not just talk about it. Then get back to us. I went from an FX 8350 to a FX9590 and My 9590 will do 5.0 GHz to 5.166. But I like it fine @ 4.7. And there was a noticable difference. Most of the FX 9370 and Fx 9590 wanted the factory overclock of 4.4 and 4.7 GHZ. It is turn Key with power saving features that others who overclock their Sub 4.4 processors do not get. A 100% Stable overclock. Bota boom, Bot Bing.
I really like my machine and I plan on keeping myFx 9590 as it is a 4.7 Ghz Gaming machine. That said I have some plans to OC an FX 8320e in another machine. But that is no reason to knock the FX 9370 or FX9590. I believe your reasoning is flawed.

And I believe you are a typical consumer that will defend his purchase no matter what.
So I have said my say and I will bid you goodbye. :)