[SOLVED] Are anti-static brushes safe to use on PC circuitboards?

Solution
Those are a scam.
Nylon actually attracts static.
It has been used for years in home gardens to promote static build up around tomato plants.
As stated above a good quality oil paint brush is your best option .
These have wooden handles and hogs hair bristles. Sometimes referred to as chip brushes.
I was looking at these: https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Portable-Brushes-Cleaning-Keyboard/dp/B074LZ649V/

Can I safely use these right on my motherboard or the circuitboards of harddrives without any ill effect?

Are these even proper anti-static brushes or is this just some cheap crap on Amazon claiming they are but really are just normal brushes? If not, any good affordable ones one can recommend?
I've been cleaning with ordinary paint brushes (for oil painting) since ever, no problems yet. Those ones should be even safer but you are the one that has to watch out for static electricity, not brushes.

I would not advise using anti static brushes on anything in a pc and in this particular case just take a look at how many items you are getting for such a small prices , they cant be very good quality for use on anything.

This is what you need to do , get a can of air that is commonly known as an air duster and make sure it is the cold air type.

A couple of warnings about using them.
Do not get the packs of 5 or 6 that seem like a bargain , they are rubbish the propellant will squirt out with the air. Get 1 expensive one it will last a long time.
Use in short bursts , if you do a long burst of air the can will become cold very quickly and burn your fingers.
IMPORTANT no matter how awkward it is to get at your dusty components DO NOT turn the can sideways or upside down or the propellant will squirt out and wet everything , you must keep the can vertical at all times even if you have to stand your rig on a table instead of working at floor level.

I would not advise using anti static brushes on anything in a pc and in this particular case just take a look at how many items you are getting for such a small prices , they cant be very good quality for use on anything.

This is what you need to do , get a can of air that is commonly known as an air duster and make sure it is the cold air type.

Do not get the packs of 5 or 6 that seem like a bargain , they are rubbish the propellant will squirt out with the air. Get 1 expensive one it will last a long time.
Use in short bursts , if you do a long burst of air the can will become cold very quickly and burn your fingers.
IMPORTANT no matter how awkward it is to get at your dusty components DO NOT turn the can sideways or upside down or the propellant will squirt out and wet everything , you must keep the can vertical at all times even if you have to stand your rig on a table instead of working at floor level.
Also make sure power is right off, not only shut down.
Blowing with air (in any form) can only clean dust that isn't stuck to parts, in humid condition and in room with smoking, dust gets stuck much worse than air can clean it off.

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

I know how to use canned air, have been using it for years. I have an electric blower now though.

Blowing with air (in any form) can only clean dust that isn't stuck to parts, in humid condition and in room with smoking, dust gets stuck much worse than air can clean it off.

Also this, I am trying to clean the fine layer of dust which can accumulate that air dosen't really get rid of.

Those are a scam.
Nylon actually attracts static.
It has been used for years in home gardens to promote static build up around tomato plants.
As stated above a good quality oil paint brush is your best option .
These have wooden handles and hogs hair bristles. Sometimes referred to as chip brushes.

Solution

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Hmmm, I see, so anti-static brushes do exist? (Just not the ones I listed)?

Not sure how to tell which ones would actually work out. Will try to google for those chip brushes you mentioned.

BTW, a lot of brushes that came up when I was searching for anti-static brushes were also for cleaning vinyl records, are those also a scam? Or a bad idea to use for electronics?

Hmmm, I see, so anti-static brushes do exist? (Just not the ones I listed)?

Not sure how to tell which ones would actually work out. Will try to google for those chip brushes you mentioned.

BTW, a lot of brushes that came up when I was searching for anti-static brushes were also for cleaning vinyl records, are those also a scam? Or a bad idea to use for electronics?
For cleaning vinyl records are meant for to keep static electricity, at least that's what I used in '70 when I was a DJ. It would attract dust from records to brush (actually a pad). However there was anti static fluid to be spread on the records.

Last edited:

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
The "anti-static" quality is a bit of a scam -- which you'll realize if you know how static electricity works. If your brush has a static charge on it, no specific type of bristle material is going to help matters. If you're concerned, ground your brush briefly (as you should already be grounding yourself) before touching any ESD-sensitive items.

Reactions: CountMike

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
That's why I use artistic oil painting brushes, pure natural bristle and wooden stalks.
A lot of misinformation here. A wood handle is more conductive than a pure nylon one. And while I don't know about pig bristle specifically, natural fur in general (along with human hair and skin) are more triboelectric than nylon. The best brush material for avoiding static entirely would be pure cotton. But as I said earlier, an ESD event is more about how you handled the brush, than the brush material itself.

A lot of misinformation here. A wood handle is more conductive than a pure nylon one. And while I don't know about pig bristle specifically, natural fur in general (along with human hair and skin) are more triboelectric than nylon. The best brush material for avoiding static entirely would be pure cotton. But as I said earlier, an ESD event is more about how you handled the brush, than the brush material itself.
You would need to work very hard to make any static electricity buy brushing with it. Any possible static electricity should be dealt with before you even stick fingers into electronic parts, brushes or not.