Are "Badges" the best thing for monitoring B. answers?

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Hello, I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, if it has sorry.

I do not think the current badge system is very good...

How is it that someone with 130 best answers is given the same recognition as someone with 60?

I really don't see the logic in giving badges so far apart, I would really think that your number of best answers should be shown instead as surely this would be more informative.

Thanks.

What your really saying is you like the current system but want it to be more granular, to enable better differentiation of users?

Perhaps we should throw the points system out, along with the number of posts, and just list how many best answers a person has ... as a measure of rank.

Gee ... I'd be in the toilet then.

:)

At that point, does it matter that much?

If you have 60 best answers in a section, you likely know what you're talking about. Same as someone with 130.

If you check, not all sections are a silver badge from 50 to 150. Some of the less trafficked sections, are silver at 20 best answers, and gold at 50 best answers.

Personally, I think it's a pretty good system. I think it beats the old system, where you were ranked just by how many posts you had. Though, Badge may disagree. :p

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Yes the more I think about it the more it seems to make sense, especially for over silver.

Although a bronze badge is not very hard to get 10 BAs, I almost have one in Systems yet I am not very knowledgeable. Especially when compared to someone with 30 or 40 BAs. I think it seems like someone with 30-40 BAs is a lot more knowledgeable then someone with 10-15.

I certainly see watch you mean about 60-130 BAs being similar in knowledge just different activity and longevity.

Thanks, I'd certainly like something to shut me up from my way of thinking like with the 60-130 example I gave.

Sorry for the hassle/thread.

aford11 wrote:

Badge may disagree. :p

If I was awarded my rightful points, my point total would look something like this 'for starters'. 10,918 posts x 4 points per post = 43,672 'points'. Why come I have only 20,773 'points'? If you add in all the 'extras' like best answer points and such, I would have like in excess of 100,000 'points'. I could sell t-shirts in the 'deals' section. And autographed 'nOOb' statues with an ad on Tom's front page. Maybe the t-shirt thing is a little wild and shows poor judgement and a lack of rectitude on my part, but I would like to have my rightful share of the points I have earned. Gimme.

I stayed up until 5AM this morning replacing a failed HD on a socket 754 front desk office machine. If anyone has any questions about the intricacies of the 754 chipset, please ask in the new 'Badge's section' aford11 has in the works. I'm preparing home movies and will be posting recipies. It's like my facebook page with a Tom's twist. I noticed on my 17 year old son's Facebook page under 'what are you doing right now' He wrote, 'trying to be a man STFU'. I will have tidbits like this when my personalized Tom's Page Section is officially opened. If you are reynod, don't read this so you can't reply.

EDIT for writer's embellishments and more treble..

well in excess of 90Db old man

I had to sell my Studio Les Paul. Too heavy for me to stand up with it strapped on for long periods without cutting into my shoulder and being the cause for my nap. I have had the neighbors call and tell me they are trying to sleep and it's coming right through the wall. No more STH!

randomizer

Champion

I think 20 would be a better number. Not too hard to reach but not dead easy either. Silver could then be bumped up to 60 to keep the distance between them and Gold could probably be left alone.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

I think that's an excellent idea, glad you see my way a bit. Thanks.

Nice thread hi-jack in which I have no idea what is going on. :??: