[SOLVED] Are Helium Drives reliable like LTO Tapes?

Oct 1, 2019
Can Helium drives (such as Seagate Exos) used as an alternative for LTO Tapes in terms of Longer duration?
What is life of Helium drives if they are kept in Shelves after archiving data? In case of Normal Air HDD, we need to spin up the drives every three months atleast.

Solution
I've not seen any good evidence that a mechanical drive -- helium or otherwise will give you the longevity of tape. The painful part of tape is the drive cost, but if you store more than about 150TB it is close to a break even with recent numbers that I've seen. For smaller volumes you may be better off with a reputable offsite storage program such as Backblaze.

RealBeast

Titan
I've not seen any good evidence that a mechanical drive -- helium or otherwise will give you the longevity of tape. The painful part of tape is the drive cost, but if you store more than about 150TB it is close to a break even with recent numbers that I've seen. For smaller volumes you may be better off with a reputable offsite storage program such as Backblaze.

Solution
Oct 1, 2019

Thanks @RealBeast