[SOLVED] Are "higher end" case fans actually worth it?

Furzumz

Reputable
I get longevity and noise may be a factor but those aside, when is comes to performance is it worth going for the "higher end" fans compared to cheaper case fans with good reviews?

Solution
the CM "Silent Case Fan" has no PWM control, offers around half of the airflow, and makes near the same amount of noise as some of the nicer fans available like a Noctua iPPC or a be quiet! Silent Wings 3.

also considering that the CM fans cost ~$5 each in a bundle, while the others cost between $20-30 each depending on the retailer.
so price vs performance is your only decision really.

you should be able to compare specs and price from multiple types of decent & high-quality fans at multiple retailers and see what's the best deal for your situation.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
That's hard to answer, there are cheap fans, overpriced fans, decent budget fans, high quality fans.

I'm using the stock fans that came with my case and 2 of these. I think they were like 12 bucks each.
http://www.phanteks.com/PH-F140SP.html

You might get a bunch of different opinions on this.

EDIT to me it's hard to justify spending 100 bucks on a case then dropping 150 more in fans for it when you can spend 50 bucks on fans and buy a 1TB SSD for about the same price.

Most of the time if you buy a good case the stock fans are enough.

Last edited:
is it worth going for the "higher end" fans compared to cheaper case fans with good reviews?
most "cheap" case fans, like those included with lower quality cases, are very low quality that do not move much air, make more noise than average, and lack PWM control.
so especially in this situation, yes higher quality fans are definitely worth it if you are concerned about having good system-wide temps and less noise. but that does not necessarily mean they need to be expensive fans.

most of the better quality case manufacturers also produce decent to high end fans and those are usually included with their cases.
so in this situation it would usually not be worth it to spend a lot more on what may be considered high end fans.

if you're looking into water cooling and fans for your radiator(s) than higher end fans with very high air pressure and quieter operation are also a better option.

Reactions: Furzumz and Dj0gany
I get longevity and noise may be a factor but those aside, when is comes to performance is it worth going for the "higher end" fans compared to cheaper case fans with good reviews?
I bought a couple of fans a while ago they were supposed to be quiet, Akasa s flow fans with a funny shaped blade. It was a mistake they are really loud unless you run them at really low rpm. The fractal fans that came with my case also were not great I used them for a bit then replaced them with Noctua ones.

Reactions: Dj0gany

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Cheap bang for the buck I really like the Artic F12 if your on a tight budget. I have been running 5 in a family build for 5 years no issues.

I had five of the fractal fans in another build, no issues.

When that being said if you want the "better" fans or have money burning a whole in your pocket.

I also love the NOCTUA fans and if you like rgb the corsair LL120 are fun and love the rubber pads for noise reduction.

Like anything I think you have diminishing returns, while you gain better bearings, quiet, it "should" last longer.

Furzumz

Reputable
Can you tell us the fan that you are looking at?
What higher end fans?

Sorry for not including that stuff earlier. Really bad habit of mine

I'm currently using these. It came in a "value pack" of 4 and I got it on sale for $10 . Never had any temperature issues with them but they've been in heavy use for ~5 years now and a couple of them are getting louder so I figured I'd replace them

The what I assume to be higher end fans were brands like Noctua or this one from Corsair

Should I buy a new box of the cooler master ones I've been using or is it worth going for something better?

Sorry for not including that stuff earlier. Really bad habit of mine

I'm currently using these. It came in a "value pack" of 4 and I got it on sale for $10 . Never had any temperature issues with them but they've been in heavy use for ~5 years now and a couple of them are getting louder so I figured I'd replace them

The what I assume to be higher end fans were brands like Noctua or this one from Corsair

Should I buy a new box of the cooler master ones I've been using or is it worth going for something better?
The ML Corsair fans are used for their new Cappelix AIO's i believe, so they have to be good.
Noctua also has crazy good fans.
Tbh just look at what your shop has to offer from Corsair, Be Quiet!, Noctua, or cooler master and you decide.

Reactions: Furzumz
the CM "Silent Case Fan" has no PWM control, offers around half of the airflow, and makes near the same amount of noise as some of the nicer fans available like a Noctua iPPC or a be quiet! Silent Wings 3.

also considering that the CM fans cost ~$5 each in a bundle, while the others cost between $20-30 each depending on the retailer.
so price vs performance is your only decision really.

you should be able to compare specs and price from multiple types of decent & high-quality fans at multiple retailers and see what's the best deal for your situation.

Reactions: Furzumz and Dj0gany
Solution