Are IDE to USB Adapters Reliable?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
I currently have a couple of Vantec SATA to USB adapters for my 2 TB SATA drives, though I was thinking of getting a IDE/SATA adapter to use with older drives that use the IDE interface. This would be especially useful for repairing older PCs and testing the hard drives.

The problem is, I've heard many horror stories of people's hard drives being fried from these adapters, thus why I went with the more expensive, SATA only adapters. From what I've read, it seems to be primarily the power adapters supplied with the converters. And some have said the molex wires were not wired correctly.

If you search for "fried" in the comments of this amazon page, you'll find all sorts of horror stories of fried hard drives.

So my question is, do these people not know what they're doing, or is it true? And how could one avoid the issue aside from buying a separate molex AC/DC adapter?

Solution
as a tech, what I did was get the USB/IDE cable, but power the drive with the power supply in the PC. small 2.5 inch drive can usually be powered from the cable itself (usb 5V), but larger drives will require external (the PCs) power supply.
I do not trust the power supplies that come with the cable, so look for just the cable if you can, or buy a cheap one and discard/recycle the power supply

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B002OV1VJW/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1470016427&sr=8-12&keywords=ide+usb+adapter
throw the power adapter away/recycle. my suggestion. example product. not an endorsement.

if you use 2.5 inch drive no power cord needed

InvalidError

Titan

I have a working 200MB Maxtor HDD which begs to disagree.

(Why do I still have it? I have no idea. How do I know it is still working? When I found my retro-gaming PC's HDD stuck, I wonder if my even older HDD which had been sitting for even longer would fare any better. Much to my surprise, it spun up without a hitch.)

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

I am not wasting anyone time :) you dont know wht you are losing .... all my old stuff got SD kit, Amiga floppy , Amiga HD , SNES , GameGear , Lynx , Turbo Grafix 16 .. , NDS , Game Boy Advance ,

have a nice day , and I was trying to give you the best :) .. see ya .

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

nice ... are you old enough to have a working Amiga , Atari ST , Commodore 64 , Apple //e :) ?

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014

If I couldn't find an alternative, I would certainly try the IDE to SD adapter, and I have been reading into console modding, it's interesting to read about it.

InvalidError

Titan

My first video game was a multi-mode pong/tennis machine with analog control paddles. (Well, it wasn't mine, it was my parents'.)

I did have a Gemini 2600 (Atari clone) but I forgot to clear the garage when I moved apartment ~20 years ago, so it got left behind.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

My first PC was APPLE //e ..

My First Console was ATARI 2600 , Then Coleco Vision ..

My First Japanese Console was NES

I moved to PC late , my First PC was 486 , before that had Apple , Commodore 64 , Atari ST Then Amiga 2000 ...

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014

If the hard drive is of small enough capacity, <120 GB for Windows 98 SE, then it has a good possibility of working on legacy systems, depending on the capacity the motherboard and BIOS supports, as for DOS, it's limited to 2 GB partitions if I recall correctly, but you can partition larger drives to 2 GB each, but I wouldn't get one that's over 32 GB for 95 or DOS.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

I know , you can try cheap 64/32GB SSD as well ..

those bridges are only $6-$10 , give it a try ... I never used one to recommend a brand , but it is interesting :)

some one wrote that his 256GB SSD worked !

Edit : I d love to see dos games on SSD lol !!!

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014

Just make sure to use CPU slowdown software, if your CPU is too fast, especially with an SSD, DOS games will be unplayable. For DOS you only need a few hundred MHz if not slower like 33-66 MHz for some games to run properly, otherwise they run too fast. ;)