Are KHX1600C9D3B1 RAM and PSD38G1600KH RAM Compatible?

Oct 9, 2018
Hello community :)

So I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Motherboard

and I currently have the
Kingston Hyper X Blu DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) CL9 1600MHz (KHX1600C9D3B1)
I am looking to upgrade to 16GB but can't seem to find the exact same model.

I have found the
Patriot Signature DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) CL9 1600MHz ( PSD38G1600KH)
and am wondering if they are going to be OK together?

I believe that they are both 9-9-9-24 but often find threads here saying not to mix brands.

Anyone with any experience on this matter who can shed some light?

Thanks in advance

Solution
DDR3 RAM is quite forgiving and here, you have 50:50 chance of them working together. Without testing them out, there's no telling if they work together or not. But same speed, size and timing helps them to co-operate with each other. Though, if you'd have DDR4 RAM then chances for working together would be slim to none.

Of course, rather than going with 2x 4GB set while risking if it works or not, get a 4x 4GB or 2x 8GB DDR3 RAM set instead, so you'd have 16GB in total. Also, RAM sticks sold in a set are confirmed by manufacturer to work with each other without issues.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
DDR3 RAM is quite forgiving and here, you have 50:50 chance of them working together. Without testing them out, there's no telling if they work together or not. But same speed, size and timing helps them to co-operate with each other. Though, if you'd have DDR4 RAM then chances for working together would be slim to none.

Of course, rather than going with 2x 4GB set while risking if it works or not, get a 4x 4GB or 2x 8GB DDR3 RAM set instead, so you'd have 16GB in total. Also, RAM sticks sold in a set are confirmed by manufacturer to work with each other without issues.

Solution
Oct 9, 2018

right, thanks for that :)
So my best bet is to just grab 2x8GB of the new ram and if the old ram works with them then great, I have 24GB which is more than I need, if not, oh well, I still end up with 16GB.