[SOLVED] Are more than two USB headers on a motherboard necessary?

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
I’m considering purchasing the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi. I looked into it, and some of the reviews on newegg listed two USB headers as a con. I’m relatively new to PC building so I’m not entirely sure why this would be considered a downside. I mainly want to know whether or not this is something that I should be concerned about with my particular build. My case has 4 USB ports on the front (2 ports are USB 2.0 and the other 2 are USB 3.0)

Solution
The motherboard has:
USB 3.2 PORTS (FRONT) - 4(Gen1, Type A)
USB 3.2 PORTS (REAR) - 1(Gen2, Type C), 3(Gen2, Type A), 2(Gen1, Type A)
USB 2.0 PORTS (FRONT) - 4
USB 2.0 PORTS (REAR) - 2

If you need more than that, this card works quite well:
https://www.amazon.com/product/dp/B0728K2D38
I have 3 of them in the system that I'm using now, and they are quite good.

The reviews that you saw must have been referencing only the front USB 2.0 ports, since there are--usually--2 ports per header. There are an additional 4 USB 3.2 port headers on the MB, so don't overlook those 2 headers.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's more than enough for the average user. however, some people use a ton of USB devices and like the option to add more easily.

2 headers has been enough for me over the years and often i don't even use more than 1 of them. so unless you plan on trying to use 25 USB devices, then i'd not be concerned at all about it.

Reactions: BrandonFitzpatricc
The motherboard has:
USB 3.2 PORTS (FRONT) - 4(Gen1, Type A)
USB 3.2 PORTS (REAR) - 1(Gen2, Type C), 3(Gen2, Type A), 2(Gen1, Type A)
USB 2.0 PORTS (FRONT) - 4
USB 2.0 PORTS (REAR) - 2

If you need more than that, this card works quite well:
https://www.amazon.com/product/dp/B0728K2D38
I have 3 of them in the system that I'm using now, and they are quite good.

The reviews that you saw must have been referencing only the front USB 2.0 ports, since there are--usually--2 ports per header. There are an additional 4 USB 3.2 port headers on the MB, so don't overlook those 2 headers.

Solution

JBHapgood

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
I’m considering purchasing the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi. I looked into it, and some of the reviews on newegg listed two USB headers as a con. I’m relatively new to PC building so I’m not entirely sure why this would be considered a downside. I mainly want to know whether or not this is something that I should be concerned about with my particular build. My case has 4 USB ports on the front (2 ports are USB 2.0 and the other 2 are USB 3.0)

USB 2 headers matter because some older "legacy" USB devices (USB 2 or 1.x) have problems when plugged into a USB 3 port. USB is supposed to be backward compatible, but sometimes it isn't for inexplicable reasons. Some of the X570 motherboards I've looked at only have one USB 2 header on the motherboard, with the rear panel containing only USB 3.1 and 3.2 ports. If you have only recent USB peripherals and thumb drives, the lack of USB 2 shouldn't matter.