[SOLVED] Are my ARGBs connected correctly?

AV10518

Prominent
May 15, 2019
Hi!

I'm finalizing my first build and sorted everything apart from ARGB connections. I decided to use CoolerMaster ML360R controller for that. I don't know if it's a good decision or not, comparing to connecting everything to a motherboard (Gigabyte Aorus Master) directly, please let me know.

A1. I have 5-to-1 3pin splitter, to which are connected: a). 3 CPU fans' 3pins b). 1 pump's 3pin c). 1 ARGB strip (Deepcool RGB 200PRO).
A2. I have 3-to-1 3pin splitter, to which are connected: a). 2 CoolerMaster H500M case fans' 3pins b). another ARGB strip (same).
A3. Here I connected my back fan's 3pin (Deepcool CF140).
A4. Empty

My concerns are:
  1. Is it a good way to combine ARGBs in terms of power consumption or anything else? In ML360R's manual, a pump's 3pin is connected to a separate slot of the controller, despite 5-to-1 splitter has 2 more empty slots, that's why I'm not sure.
  2. Do I miss any functionally by doing this way in general? Will I be able to control everything via Gigabyte RGB Fusion (since I expect my controller to be hidden, but I connected it to motherboard's 3pin)?

Thanks,
Arturs

Solution
The Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB cooling system comes with their most advanced ARGB Controller. Your post above suggests you have done well figuring how to use it for all your ARGB lighting systems. (I note all those notes are about the lighting units only, and the fan motor cable connections are not part of this discussion.) I'll offer a few suggestions and questions I cannot answer.

The Controller has 4 output ports on it, and each Channel is configured separately in the Cooler Master software utility. When you use an RGB Splitter to connect several lighting strips (or fans) to a single Channel, all the strips will do exactly the same thing as the others on that Channel / Splitter. So if you WANT to have a group of devices...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB cooling system comes with their most advanced ARGB Controller. Your post above suggests you have done well figuring how to use it for all your ARGB lighting systems. (I note all those notes are about the lighting units only, and the fan motor cable connections are not part of this discussion.) I'll offer a few suggestions and questions I cannot answer.

The Controller has 4 output ports on it, and each Channel is configured separately in the Cooler Master software utility. When you use an RGB Splitter to connect several lighting strips (or fans) to a single Channel, all the strips will do exactly the same thing as the others on that Channel / Splitter. So if you WANT to have a group of devices all SYNCHRONIZED so that they do the sane thing together, the Splitter to create the group is the way to go. On the other hand, if you want to have different devices do different things simultaneously, use different Channels and program each channel differently. (That may be why their manual shows the Pump unit's ARGB cable connected to a different output port.) Among the many lighting devices you have, most say they consume about 0.35 A per device.Now, most mobo ARGB headers can supply up to 3 A to their combined load (some can do more), BUT Cooler Master's website does not tell you what the spec is PER CHANNEL (port) in that Controller. My guess each can do 3 A max, BUT I encourage you to ask Cooler Master's Tech Support people for the real info there. Your plan connects 5 devices to one of the Channels.

There's another option here their website does not answer, so you should ask them about this. Suppose you want to connect so many devices (as you do) that you use more than one port of the Controller. Each port is programmed separately. Is there a way to synchronize two ports together so that all the devices on BOTH ports (Channels) do the same thing at the same time?

That Controller normally is controlled by using the Cooler Master software. But it also has a connection port and cable so you can plug it into an ADDR RGB header on your mobo (which you have available) so that control of your lights is done by the mobo maker's software, rather than by the Controller software. This MIGHT mean that you can get some different lighting displays from one software package. What is not clear in the manuals is HOW you decide which tool is being used at any moment. Is there a control within the Cooler Master software to allow you to switch between that software and whatever signals are coming from the mobo header? Or, does it just switch to mobo signals whenever you plug in the connection cable? Ask Cooler Master how that is done.

Solution

AV10518

Prominent
May 15, 2019

The Controller has 4 output ports on it, and each Channel is configured separately in the Cooler Master software utility. When you use an RGB Splitter to connect several lighting strips (or fans) to a single Channel, all the strips will do exactly the same thing as the others on that Channel / Splitter. So if you WANT to have a group of devices all SYNCHRONIZED so that they do the sane thing together, the Splitter to create the group is the way to go. On the other hand, if you want to have different devices do different things simultaneously, use different Channels and program each channel differently. (That may be why their manual shows the Pump unit's ARGB cable connected to a different output port.) Among the many lighting devices you have, most say they consume about 0.35 A per device.Now, most mobo ARGB headers can supply up to 3 A to their combined load (some can do more), BUT Cooler Master's website does not tell you what the spec is PER CHANNEL (port) in that Controller. My guess each can do 3 A max, BUT I encourage you to ask Cooler Master's Tech Support people for the real info there. Your plan connects 5 devices to one of the Channels.

There's another option here their website does not answer, so you should ask them about this. Suppose you want to connect so many devices (as you do) that you use more than one port of the Controller. Each port is programmed separately. Is there a way to synchronize two ports together so that all the devices on BOTH ports (Channels) do the same thing at the same time?

That Controller normally is controlled by using the Cooler Master software. But it also has a connection port and cable so you can plug it into an ADDR RGB header on your mobo (which you have available) so that control of your lights is done by the mobo maker's software, rather than by the Controller software. This MIGHT mean that you can get some different lighting displays from one software package. What is not clear in the manuals is HOW you decide which tool is being used at any moment. Is there a control within the Cooler Master software to allow you to switch between that software and whatever signals are coming from the mobo header? Or, does it just switch to mobo signals whenever you plug in the connection cable? Ask Cooler Master how that is done.

Thanks very much for your detailed answer!

Regarding the way to synchronize two ports, I found this in another thread: "Both the presets and the SYNC function are present when you scroll with the reset button, make sure you do not accidentally skip it". So it should be possible simply by doing that.

I asked CM about the rest of the concerns you've mentioned, still waiting for their reply.