Question Are my i5-7600k and GTX 1070 bottleneck in 1440p?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brendz1993

Honorable
May 1, 2015
Hi Guys,

I just recently upgraded my monitor from 1080p 60hz to 1440p 144hz Freesync.

I noticed since I bought my new monitor that during gaming, I experience a lot of microstutters and seems like the mouse movement is lagging eventhough I'm hitting 80-115fps (I play PUBG and Monster Hunter World)
I OC'd my 1070 to 2100mhz coreclock and 4500mhz memory clock and my processor to 4.5Ghz. I know its not because of thermal throttling because I have a custom loop. I barely hit 53 degrees on my GPU under load.
I'm also thinking that it might be because of my RAM because I only got 8GB and I'm hitting between 6.5-7.5GB RAM usage when gaming.

Here's my specs for your reference:

i5-7600k OCd to 4.5ghz
MSI GTX 1070 OCd to 2100mhz core; 4500mhz mem clock
8GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400mhz
Adata SP550 512GB SSD

Any thoughts guys? Do I need to upgrade my CPU to catch my higher resolution gaming?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 16, 2019
If possible you could try it on a different 2k monitor and see if it has the same issue. That would at least rule out a faulty monitor. The thermals all seem normal, and well within their usable range.

Edit: One of the only other things I can think of really is if the monitor is G-Sync and FreeSync or FreeSync/G-Sync compatible. If the latter that might mean that G-Sync isn't fully compatible with that monitor. Since you have a Nvidia GPU, they want you to use G-Sync, however they recently officially started supporting some FreeSync monitors for adaptive refresh rate.

It's probably unlikely, but maybe this monitor isn't fully supported on Nvidia GPU's for adaptive sync. But take everything I say with a grain of salt, because I'm a measly programmer and not an engineer!

Last edited: