[SOLVED] Are My Temps Too High?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 1, 2020
I recently built a new PC with a Ryzen 5 3600X cooled by an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 AIO. My idle temps on the CPU are around 46C and I get full load temps (with Cinebench or video rendering) temps of 83C while the CPU clocks down to 4.08 GHz even with the front panel off (the radiator is an intake). Is something wrong here?

I've already tried reseating the cooler several times and I've noticed that the cooler isn't fully covered with thermal paste while the CPU is. Is that the problem?

Solution
Just a recap:
Arctic LF 2 240
Ryzen 3600X
Phanteks P400(non-A)
Now then...

1)You made sure the paste spread and covered the cpu IHS fully? The little in the middle application tends to not be too effective on Ryzen due to the multiple chiplets beneath.

2)Arctic LF 2 + P400.
Goes without saying that since the only option is to mount it up front, you're forced to mount the cooler right up against a rather hard airflow restriction.
The best way to maximize airflow here is to position the fans behind the radiator, pulling air inside the chassis. Just a reminder of which way air comes in and out:

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
It doesn't really matter all that much... the purpose of paste is a bridge, and any direct cooling benefits are so minor.
Thermal Grizzly is overhyped to the moon and it doesn't 'stomp' the likes of MX-4... plus, it has some QC issues: there's fakes out in the market... WTH.

Thanks for explaining. Sad thing is I boughts the MX4 ready to go but got a tube of grizzlies with mobo so used it thinking it better. Small thing but oh well. :)

Dec 1, 2020
Op do you have another fan to add up top?
And have you tried up the rpm on the top and rear fan? Any changes?
Also have you thought about trying to mount the cooler up top even if you are using the case vent holes to mount the rad?
I don't have another fan to add up top but I can get one, though it'll add negative pressure to my case.
I have tried upping the rpm of the case fans but no real change other than more noise.
I can't mount the cooler up top because there's not enough space. The radiator is too thick.

Ok we now may be getting somewhere.
The pump should be running higher.
Kick the pump speed up to say 1600 rpm for all temps or to run constantly at 1600 rpm and recheck temps while gaming and stressing the cpu.

High/low temp swing is your climate change.
Does your ambient temp from your climate create temperature swings in that room.
So like in the summer time what do your high temperatures get to and what does that room get to?

Reactions: Phaaze88
Dec 1, 2020
Ok we now may be getting somewhere.
The pump should be running higher.
Kick the pump speed up to say 1600 rpm for all temps or to run constantly at 1600 rpm and recheck temps while gaming and stressing the cpu.

High/low temp swing is your climate change.
Does your ambient temp from your climate create temperature swings in that room.
So like in the summer time what do your high temperatures get to and what does that room get to?
Yeah I can't control the pump and fan speeds individually. I set the pump and fans to 1200 rpm and it still reaches 83C under full load, but more slowly.
Temps in my room can go from around 18C to high 20's.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Just a recap:
Arctic LF 2 240
Ryzen 3600X
Phanteks P400(non-A)
Now then...

1)You made sure the paste spread and covered the cpu IHS fully? The little in the middle application tends to not be too effective on Ryzen due to the multiple chiplets beneath.

2)Arctic LF 2 + P400.
Goes without saying that since the only option is to mount it up front, you're forced to mount the cooler right up against a rather hard airflow restriction.
The best way to maximize airflow here is to position the fans behind the radiator, pulling air inside the chassis. Just a reminder of which way air comes in and out:
iu

3)About the LF 2: Boxed unit ships with pump and fans managed by single PWM splitter.
"While the Liquid Freezer II 280’s 140mm fans are factory installed and managed with the same PWM power that controls the pump and auxiliary fan, we opted to disconnect the fans and run them independently for our tests, allowing for independent PWM cooling fan management while the pump remained powered at 100%."
If you want to control the fans and pump separately, you'll have to connect the fans directly to the motherboard, otherwise, all 3 will operate on a preset PWM curve.
Fractal Design's Celsius does something similar.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Solution
Dec 1, 2020
Just a recap:
Arctic LF 2 240
Ryzen 3600X
Phanteks P400(non-A)
Now then...

2)Arctic LF 2 + P400.
iu

3)About the LF 2: Boxed unit ships with pump and fans managed by single PWM splitter.
"While the Liquid Freezer II 280’s 140mm fans are factory installed and managed with the same PWM power that controls the pump and auxiliary fan, we opted to disconnect the fans and run them independently for our tests, allowing for independent PWM cooling fan management while the pump remained powered at 100%."
If you want to control the fans and pump separately, you'll have to connect the fans directly to the motherboard, otherwise, all 3 will operate on a preset PWM curve.
Fractal Design's Celsius does something similar.
1) I'll try to redo the thermal paste again once my new tube arrives, but the paste seems to cover the IHS fully.

2) Yeah that's what I'm doing with my cooler.

3) I could also try that

Can't agree more with you Phaaze88
It could be multiple issues also.

1 the removal of the case front didn't change temps.
So hopefully changing fan placement helps with airflow/temps.
While doing that please make sure the pump Is Not the highest point of the cooler.

2 changing the curve did make a change to a point that it took longer to reach the 83c he was @ before.
So atleast something changed slightly towards better.

Dec 1, 2020
Update:
Today I repasted the CPU and hooked the fans up separately from the pump. While I was tweaking the fan speeds in the BIOS I also decided to manually set the clocks and voltage, since the default voltage is pretty high.
My pc seems to be running pretty well now. On stock settings it got up to 4.12 GHz and maxed temperatures at 77C. I now have it running at 4.4 GHz @ 1.30V with a max temperature of 82C (76C with the front panel off) and idle temps of 35C. Might try messing with it a bit more later.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help guys!