[SOLVED] Are optical drive cases needed still? (for gaming)

So from what I know a lot of gaming has gone digital so what would you guys suggest: external optical drive for disk games I do get? OR get a case with optical drive slot? I want to know to see if I need a case with an optical drive slot or not. I know games run horribly on an external drive but could I burn the disk onto my hard drive would it play the same?

Solution
You could get an external disc drive and only use it when needed. As 13thmonkey mentions discs tend to be used for copyright issues, and you'd still need to install the games anyway. Though depending where you are, physical PC games are getting increasingly rare in shops where I am.

Also possible it could be redundant. I bought Dragon Age: Ultimate edition many years ago on disc. Over the years Origin has essentially replaced the need for the discs and can download and install from the client. Similarly with The Witcher through GOG. It might be the case you only need the CD key to do things digitally.
disks are used to install, often the disk is only then required for copy protection purposes so burning may not work but data transfer speeds are less relevant. For cleanliness of airflow i'd go without, but you could use the drive bay for other things.
I see so does that mean if I install off an external drive I will have similar or identical experience to an optical drive?

Personally I would suggest trying to think about the games you'll likely purchase. It doesn't read like you have a library of PC games on disc, unless you plan to deliberately buy them physically rather than through a digital store.
I will be buying from G2A Epic Games and Steam but my parents don't like to buy my codes as presents as it seems small

You could get an external disc drive and only use it when needed. As 13thmonkey mentions discs tend to be used for copyright issues, and you'd still need to install the games anyway. Though depending where you are, physical PC games are getting increasingly rare in shops where I am.

Also possible it could be redundant. I bought Dragon Age: Ultimate edition many years ago on disc. Over the years Origin has essentially replaced the need for the discs and can download and install from the client. Similarly with The Witcher through GOG. It might be the case you only need the CD key to do things digitally.

Reactions: AngelTech
Solution