[SOLVED] Are OS and PSU failure linked to each other?

Ravz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
Hello,
I have a really weird situation with my PC. Whenever I try to game on Windows 10, my PSU blows up and need to go for RMA. But that's not the case while I game on Windows 7. I observed this while I used Win10 11 months back and the PSU blew up in like a day or 2, so I reverted back to Win7 after that. Since then I have never come through any problems with my PSU until I came back to Win10 after Win7 support ended. Although Win10 uses less resources and give pretty smooth gaming performance compared to Win7 which is to be expected, but I got this really weird thing happening in my system. Please help me through this.

My specs are : FX 6300 w/ Stock Cooler, M5A78L-M/USB3, 2x4GB 1600MHz RAM, 2 HDD's, GT 740 GDDR5 GPU and a cheapo 600w PSU(This might be the main culprit) and a 650VA UPS.

Last edited:
Solution
I think windows 10 has tighter voltage droop ratings then windows 7.

I have 5 servers at work on battery backup, whenever the backups would switch over to battery for testing, the at the time brand new HP gen 9 server would shut down. HP came out and replaced both CPU's, all the ram, and then the motherboard.

During the time we where having issues with the Gen 9 i reinstalled and older Gen 7 server from windows server 2008 R2 to windows server 2016 data center so we could do replication in case the new server just failed outright. The old server started showing the same exact issues as the new one, reinstalled back to server 2008 R2 and no issues. Ended up replacing the 3 1500va units with 5 brand new ones and haven't had any...

Ravz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
Generic no-name power supplies are not recommended.
Yes I regret for using/having uncertified PSU and I am going to buy a 80+ certified PSU soon. But my question is, does individual OS's vary power draw when on load from the PSU? Because I am curious if there are any other factors (like the hardware or the drivers) causing the PSU to blow up.

I have 5 servers at work on battery backup, whenever the backups would switch over to battery for testing, the at the time brand new HP gen 9 server would shut down. HP came out and replaced both CPU's, all the ram, and then the motherboard.

During the time we where having issues with the Gen 9 i reinstalled and older Gen 7 server from windows server 2008 R2 to windows server 2016 data center so we could do replication in case the new server just failed outright. The old server started showing the same exact issues as the new one, reinstalled back to server 2008 R2 and no issues. Ended up replacing the 3 1500va units with 5 brand new ones and haven't had any issues.

on a side note your 650VA battery back up is only good for 390watts so that could be causing issues when it switches over to battery testing/ conditioning.

Solution

Ravz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020

During the time we where having issues with the Gen 9 i reinstalled and older Gen 7 server from windows server 2008 R2 to windows server 2016 data center so we could do replication in case the new server just failed outright. The old server started showing the same exact issues as the new one, reinstalled back to server 2008 R2 and no issues. Ended up replacing the 3 1500va units with 5 brand new ones and haven't had any issues.

on a side note your 650VA battery back up is only good for 390watts so that could be causing issues when it switches over to battery testing/ conditioning.

I just noticed that a few games in Win10 on load have some increase in power usage compared to that of Win7 and maybe that's causing the PSU to blow up idk. I've got this UPS to get over some fluctuations rather than having backup power to my system, because my place has really bad fluctuations and also bad grounding.