[SOLVED] Are PCIe4 SSDs not anywhere near their potential yet?

MoreMoneyThanSense

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
I have heard that the current PCIe4 SSDs are not as powerful as they could be given the specs of PCIe4, something to do with the Phison controllers the current SSDs are using which I've been told are basically the same as PCIe3 except upgraded a little, but nowhere near what it could or should be for next gen.

Is there any truth to this? Are the current PCIe4 SSDs sort of neutered compared to what they should be able to do with newer controllers?

Solution
If they were limiting out around 3500MB/s on PCIe3.0, then the max potential from PCIe4.0 is twice that (give or take). The current crop is at 5000-ish.

There are more weaknesses besides the PCIe bandwidth that could/need to be shored up on NAND-based SSDs. Especially as that industry continues to move to more and more bits per cell (I just saw a "PLC" NAND ad the other day...)
If they were limiting out around 3500MB/s on PCIe3.0, then the max potential from PCIe4.0 is twice that (give or take). The current crop is at 5000-ish.

There are more weaknesses besides the PCIe bandwidth that could/need to be shored up on NAND-based SSDs. Especially as that industry continues to move to more and more bits per cell (I just saw a "PLC" NAND ad the other day...)

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I do
I have heard that the current PCIe4 SSDs are not as powerful as they could be given the specs of PCIe4
Looks like the first PCIe 4.0 drives max out around 5GB/s, compared to the max theoretical bandwidth of 8GB/s for a PCIe 4.0 x4 link. The best PCIe 3.0 drives get around 3.5 GB/s (out of theoretical 4GB/s).

That being said, you'll pretty much only see those kinds of speeds in unrealistic benchmark scenarios. In real world use for most home users you're not even going to be limited by the bandwidth of a SATA3 interface, let alone a PCIe 3.0 x4 interface.

Those things are way behind their potential. PCIE3.0 was utilized in ~90% on top products, when they started we are not able to squeeze so much chips on 2280 to saturate 4.0x4, NOT YET.
Right now 3.0 offers ~3.6GB R/W and 4.0 is ~4.5GB R/W, their limit is ~7.5GB R/W on 4 lines, I expect them to get faster like ~1GB/s a year, until we get closer to the limit.