Question Are prebuilt computers worthwhile ?

computerisslow

Reputable
Jun 26, 2020
My brother has asked me to give him a list of parts for a new pc as he wants to upgrade from his one from 2009. Size doesn't matter so I looked between building one myself piece by piece or getting a prebuilt. I want to build one as I have had people help me go through and peice one together (thanks again aeacus) I want to build for myself. Im looking at this (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ywc73y) but I was wondering if there is any sort of budget atx or matx build with equal or more power for games like battlefield 5

it´s hard to find any decent ITX prebuild system in your budget range ,
it´s better to do it yourself from selected parts
any particular reason why you want an ITX mini build ?
If size doesn´t matter and you have space for mATX / ATX build than yes it could be done better with much more powerful video card .
i assume your/your brothers budget is around 700-800 dollars ?

how about something like this (if it is within your budget) :

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor | $139.79 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | Deepcool AG400 75.89 CFM CPU Cooler | $24.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI B550 GAMING GEN3 ATX AM4 Motherboard | $119.99 @ Amazon
Memory | TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $40.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Mushkin Tempest 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive | $54.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card | $249.99 @ Amazon
Case | Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case | $69.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply | MSI MPG A650GF 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $106.99 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $807.71
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-06 07:17 EST-0500 |

Last edited:
If you were willing to use a full ATX or micro ATX board, you could buy a "decent" pre-built for 750 dollars, excluding monitor. That would probably include Windows that you apparently don't need.

BUT.....to one degree or another, you'd likely be painting yourself into a corner regarding future upgrades to that pre-built because they typically use proprietary parts of one type or another.

Maybe you would have no intention of upgrading a pre-built?

At low budgets, pre-builts are pretty hard to beat on a pure "bang for the buck" basis, but you still face the future upgrade issue. If you were spending say 1200 dollars, a self-built is even more preferable.

computerisslow

Reputable
Jun 26, 2020
it´s hard to find any decent ITX prebuild system in your budget range ,
it´s better to do it yourself from selected parts
any particular reason why you want an ITX mini build ?
If size doesn´t matter and you have space for mATX / ATX build than yes it could be done better with much more powerful video card .
i assume your/your brothers budget is around 700-800 dollars ?

how about something like this (if it is within your budget) :

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor | $139.79 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | Deepcool AG400 75.89 CFM CPU Cooler | $24.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI B550 GAMING GEN3 ATX AM4 Motherboard | $119.99 @ Amazon
Memory | TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $40.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Mushkin Tempest 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive | $54.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card | $249.99 @ Amazon
Case | Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case | $69.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply | MSI MPG A650GF 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $106.99 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $807.71
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-06 07:17 EST-0500 |
The mitx build for myself is because I have minimal space to store it, no room to set it anywhere but on the desk and I need it to take up very little space. As for the other pc the size was not a big factor for it but budget was for sure. The listed one seems pretty great without breaking the bank
If you were willing to use a full ATX or micro ATX board, you could buy a "decent" pre-built for 750 dollars, excluding monitor. That would probably include Windows that you apparently don't need.

BUT.....to one degree or another, you'd likely be painting yourself into a corner regarding future upgrades to that pre-built because they typically use proprietary parts of one type or another.

Maybe you would have no intention of upgrading a pre-built?

At low budgets, pre-builts are pretty hard to beat on a pure "bang for the buck" basis, but you still face the future upgrade issue. If you were spending say 1200 dollars, a self-built is even more preferable.
And I took a hard look at pre-builts and decided against them as if the desire to upgrade did come along it epuld probably suck to do as you mentioned with parts

logainofhades

Titan
I would do something more like this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($142.78 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M BAZOOKA DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($130.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP34 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: ASRock Challenger D OC Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($48.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ B&H)
Total: $746.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-06 11:36 EST-0500

Love those ITX builds; I have done several.
But they are challenging and will come with compromises.
Particularly if hot gaming components are needed.

A MATX based desktop will offer more room for standard parts and expansion.
Can you supply a Photo of your workspace?
Can a monitor be wall mounted to free up desk space?
Can a pc tower be placed on the floor beside the desk or even under it?

computerisslow

Reputable
Jun 26, 2020
Love those ITX builds; I have done several.
But they are challenging and will come with compromises.
Particularly if hot gaming components are needed.

A MATX based desktop will offer more room for standard parts and expansion.
Can you supply a Photo of your workspace?
Can a monitor be wall mounted to free up desk space?
Can a pc tower be placed on the floor beside the desk or even under it?
My monitor is already wall mounted and for the placement there is nowhere on the floor to set it that I don't walk through unfortunatly. My room is VERY small so a small build that sits on the desk is really my only option. Although if I did have space for an mayx build I would probably prefer it but right now my current pc is the same size as thr fractal node 202 except 0.5in taller. And that's already takes up plenty of space

You may want to read this older review of the node 202.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10342/the-fractal-design-node-202-case-review
I think for your purpose, it is as good as it gets.
They simulated a 150w processor and a 125w graphics card.
That would suggest that a stronger I3-13100 or even as much as a I5-13500 with a max turbo power of 154w could work.

On the graphics side they simulated a 125w graphics card.
A RTX3050 would fit that. Look for a card that will exhaust heat through the rear.

On the cpu and gpu, you can always undervolt to reduce heat if necessary.

Look for a fractal sfx psu. The review indicated that it came with shorter power leads appropriate to the case.

Reactions: computerisslow