Question Are RJ45 Crimping Kits any good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaJay68

Reputable
Jul 30, 2021
Does anyone know if the available rj45 crimping kits are any good? I only need to do one end of a patch cable, but, I need everything from the crimping tool to the rj45 connector and hood.

Could someone recommend anything? Ideally I don't want to spend much more than £50 but will do if I have to.

I'm currently looking at this one, which seems to have all I need:

Crimping Kit

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Hard to say if that is a good value. The key part of the tool is the part that crimps the ends.
Quality ones have better steal but that doesn't matter if you never wear them out.

The main issue with cheap crimpers is you can not always tell if you have crimped them enough or you have done too much. Quality crimpers have a very firm stop you can feel and pushing harder will not force the pins lower.
No way to tell this looking at photos.

Even the cheapest tools will make good connections it just takes more skill to use a cheap tool than a expensive one.

It is likely going to save money to buy a kit just because of the shipping charges of the individual items even if you get "free" shipping.

I would not use the tool to strip the wire. It is very easy to nick the wires and not notice it. I would use a razor blade or a sharp knife.

Be ready to cut off and redo it multiple times this is a skill that you can only learn by doing and it is very tricky to keep the wires firmly pressed into the rj45 jack and not have them move a tiny bit when you crimp them.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Does anyone know if the available rj45 crimping kits are any good? I only need to do one end of a patch cable, but, I need everything from the crimping tool to the rj45 connector and hood.

Could someone recommend anything? Ideally I don't want to spend much more than £50 but will do if I have to.

Crimping Kit

Thanks all.
Yes. Just keep the wires in order.

Reactions: SeaJay68

kanewolf

Titan

Crimping Kit

Thanks all.
If it is a patch cable, just replace it. Guaranteed to work.

SeaJay68

Reputable
Jul 30, 2021
Unfortunately, I can't replace the cable because when we had the kitchen redone, the fitters enclosed it inside trunking, which is in the corner, behind fitted cabinets. Luckily, there's a lot of spare cable going through it all.

kanewolf

Titan
Unfortunately, I can't replace the cable because when we had the kitchen redone, the fitters enclosed it inside trunking, which is in the corner, behind fitted cabinets. Luckily, there's a lot of spare cable going through it all.
If it truly started as a "patch cable" then the probability is that the wire is stranded rather than solid. It requires different RJ45s for stranded rather than solid wire.

SeaJay68

Reputable
Jul 30, 2021
If you read the reviews you will stay far away from this.
The trouble with reviews, it seems especially Amazon reviews, is that you are always going to get a few negative ones, right up there with positive ones. It's very rare I find any review that doesn't have a negative spin.

I've seen a few people using the above crimper kit on Youtube and it seems like it does the trick. I've got to try something.

Status
Not open for further replies.