[SOLVED] Are SATA ports different?

Drew2345

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
So I was building my pc and when i was plugging a sata cable into the sata port i noticed a really tight fit and i needed to force it.My motherboard(Asus strix h270f) has 6 sata ports all aligned next to each other so i thought they are all the same but i looked into my motherboard manual and i saw they marked in 2 categories A and B paired 3 by 3 so i try to plug in the cable on the other half and it works like a charm. So my question is did i break/damage anything?Everyone I asked says all sata are the same so why are they marked differently in the manual ? Thanks

Solution
Apart from sub-millimeter manufacturing tolerances, SATA ports are all the same size.
Some (older) boards (not yours) may have a mix of Intel and ASMedia spec ports, but that is just a difference in throughput. Not the physical size.

USAFRet

Titan
Apart from sub-millimeter manufacturing tolerances, SATA ports are all the same size.
Some (older) boards (not yours) may have a mix of Intel and ASMedia spec ports, but that is just a difference in throughput. Not the physical size.

Solution