Are the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 sensors just terrible?

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
I am trying to push my FX-8350 to see how far i can get with the stock voltage, last time my PC froze at 4.6ghz so for now the best and most stable frequency seems to be 4.5 ghz, however that's not the issue my problem is i had HW monitor up along with the ASUS SUite temp reader and they are both giving me 55c max temp which i honestly don't believe because i've seen higher temps using HWMonitor for my CPU out of the box(it got to 60 before while playing Dragon Age Inquistion).

HWMonitor doesn't even show all 8 cores it just shows them as "Package".

Solution

this is what I found for these cpus

"AMD cpu's have one temp sensor for the cores and that is reflected against all core read temperature read-outs irrespective of the software you are using. The cpu temp you see in HW monitor is the cpu socket temp that your mother board is picking from a temperature sensor in your mobo's cpu socket. "

But regardless enable llc for your board and manually set your voltage. I wouldnt push the voltage over ~1.35 with that board...
not a good board for overclocking that chip. only a 4+2 phase design, you really need an 8+2 board for that chip. I would put a fan on your vrms asap I bet they are pretty hot.

what cooler and voltage are you running etc. is it on auto voltage?

auto voltage usually will bump it higher than needed which is why you can even hit that speed.

I dont know of any programs that will show each core temps etc for these chips I dont think it is possible.

I use hwinfo and it shows the same

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
I never messed around with my voltages as i didn't have OCing in mind when i bought that board, i have a hyper 212 plus and a Sapphire Toxic R9 280x.

The GPU temps are fine but it never shows the VRAM temp, and btw HWMonitor used to show me all cores for my Phenom II.

this is what I found for these cpus

"AMD cpu's have one temp sensor for the cores and that is reflected against all core read temperature read-outs irrespective of the software you are using. The cpu temp you see in HW monitor is the cpu socket temp that your mother board is picking from a temperature sensor in your mobo's cpu socket. "

But regardless enable llc for your board and manually set your voltage. I wouldnt push the voltage over ~1.35 with that board. vrm fan is a must.

set your fsb between 220 and 233 230~233 for 1866 memory. this range has always worked best for me with my chips on my asus board ranging from my 6300, 8320, to my 9370.

results may differ I wouldnt even recommend going over 4.4 on that board with that cpu. asus boards are good but it will only last so long

Solution

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Explains why it only shows only "CPU" in the asus suite as well, i am guessing it possibly means the chip is running hotter than the socket?

CPU voltage was at 1.4125 and i didn't run into any overheating problems so far(I had that chip and mobo for almost a year and a half now and i mostly play demanding games) and i have no intentions of going for more than the stock 4.0ghz without upgrading my motherboard and getting a better cooling system in my case.

ohh it thought you were running 4.6?

at 4.0 you can even bump the voltage down to the 1.35 range in most cases, 1.41 is high for that speed

under load your temps should almost equalize unless your motherbaord/socket has no airflow causing the temps to rise.

I run a fan behind the socket which helps lower the temps

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
My case aint so great in terms of cooling it came with 1 back fan and that's it, but i moved the hard disks to the top and stuck a fan down their with blue tac that pulls air in + the 2 fans that are already on the hyper 212 and the 3 on the 280x and they are doing ok.

And no i am not running 4.6 i was just checking how far can i push it with stock values and it froze at 4.6, 4.5 is the max i can run at atm but i am keeping it at 4.0 as i don't think the performance boost is worth it.