Are there any Ethernet to WIFI adapters?

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
So, there's a Blu Ray player in my living room that is incompatible with WIFI and i was wondering if i can get an antenna to plug into It's Ethernet port. Keep in mind that I'm not talking about a network extender, just a simple device to convert the WIFI signal to Ethernet. Thanks!

Solution
You can plug a surge protector into the powerline if you have a powerline with a pass through socket. This is purely a physical connection inside the unit so it should be rated the same as the outlet you plug it into. I suspect if you read the specs for the device they tell how many amps of power you can plug into the passthough socket if there is a restriction.

Although you can get wifi client bridges most are used outdoors...they of course work inside also. The more common devices are called "extenders". I suspect it does not cost any more to make these devices than simple bridges. Unfortunately some vendors call lots of things extenders. Pretty much any of the devices that can run as a wifi repeater an also run as a...

penn919

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Way back in the day I used a Linksys WGA54G to get my original Xbox connected to my router wirelessly. It supports up to wireless G speeds. I did a search and it doesn't seem as though many of these types of devices are being made anymore.

btw, They are called wireless bridges.

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

Okay I'll use a power line adapter instead. And since no one replied to my previous thread, I'll ask you here. does a power line adapter have a voltage limit? and can a surge protector be plugged into it? I have a gaming PC up to 1200 watts, three monitors, speakers, router, ONT, and phone charger in one surge protector. Could the pass through port handle that many things? If so, I'll go and get one of those.

penn919

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

No. Powerline adapters must be plugged directly into a wall socket. The interference from a surge protector will dramatically affect speeds or prevent connectivity altogether.

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

I know. That's why I'm asking if it can handle that amount of wattage.

You can plug a surge protector into the powerline if you have a powerline with a pass through socket. This is purely a physical connection inside the unit so it should be rated the same as the outlet you plug it into. I suspect if you read the specs for the device they tell how many amps of power you can plug into the passthough socket if there is a restriction.

Although you can get wifi client bridges most are used outdoors...they of course work inside also. The more common devices are called "extenders". I suspect it does not cost any more to make these devices than simple bridges. Unfortunately some vendors call lots of things extenders. Pretty much any of the devices that can run as a wifi repeater an also run as a client-bridge. You just disable the repeater part. If you want a outdoor bridge ubiquiti sells quite a few for fairly cheap.

Solution

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

Good. That should work then. Thanks!