Are there ANY good airflow, quite-ish, RGB fans that won't make my bank account hurt?

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
I'm new to RGB anything but I'm building a mixed use system that is all white and blue (with a bit of black that can't be helped) and would like some decent RGB fans that I can tweak the color till it's the right shade of blue. My Cooloer Master Stryker SE White case came with with two white LED front fans that flicker even when set to solid from the cases fan control button.

I'm looking for RGB fans that have ZERO flicker because it gives me an eye and headache. They need to be compatible with my Asus Aura software so I don't have to use a controller and separate software. But they also need to be QUALITY fans that actually do the job of cooling. There is minimal impedance from the front to the back of the case, as there are no drive bays, so I think air flow is more important than air pressure.

If anyone has any suggestions for some 120mm quality RGB fans that would be awesome! Thanks

Full specs in case you want to know:
Asus Prime x470 Pro
Ryzen 7 2700x
Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro
Samsung 860 nvme 500gb ssd
Corsair LPX 32gb DDR4 3200
Cooler Master Stryker SE ATX Full Tower Case

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
I rather suspect that any RGB fan will display some degree of flicker, either through the blades occulting the light as they rotate or from the light reflecting off the fan blades. That said, some coolers do not transmit the light through the blades and have only to deal with reflections. How well that will work for you is something only you can decided. You might check out the highly rated Masterair MA410M since the lights are on the housing not within the blade arc.

Please let us know if you find something that works particularly well for you.

Larry

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Well, i already have NZXT AER140 RGB fans in use, both in my Skylake and Haswell builds as well, full specs with pics in my sig.

As far as AER RGB fans go, they are one of the best RGB addressable fans when it comes to the airflow and their static pressure is also good. Though, they are best used as a case fan and not as a rad fan. As far as LEDs go, there are 0 flicker when changing from one color to another. Also, since each fan has 8x addressable LEDs in them and LEDs are covered with white non-transparent plastic, the colors bleed through evenly.

Downsides of AER RGB fans are:
* the cost a lot of money
* you'll need HUE+ or HUE 2 RGB controller to control LEDs
* and they aren't compatible with any MoBo RGB solution (e.g Asus Aura Sync, MSI Mystic light)

For OP:
The best 120mm RGB fan compatible with MoBo RGB solutions, with highest performance, that i know of, is EK-Vardar EVO 120ER RGB,
specs: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-vardar-evo-120er-rgb-500-2200-rpm
review: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EKWB/Vardar_EVO_120ER_RGB/
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/EK-Vardar-EVO-120ER-500-2200-Pack/dp/B07DGP2T22

Though, do note that any good quality RGB product, be it fans, KB, mice etc, will come with premium price. If you want to cheap out on RGB fans, don't expect good performance and/or flickerless color change.

schooltime7634

Prominent
Sep 24, 2018
Possibly Thermaltake Pure Plus fans... They have some nice RGB... and when used with the TT Sync Controller, it allows Aura Sync controlling, as long as you have a spare 5V RGB header... Should have no flicker. At least to my knowledge(which is very little).

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
Thanks for the advice guys. I've ended up with this 3 piece set from Deepcool that got really good reviews. In fact they had pretty much the best reviews of any of the many case fans I have been looking at. I'll update this when they get here and I install them. I'm thinking of moving one or both of the two LED case fans that came with the case into the bottom two spots and just leave the leds unplugged. Am I right in assuming that fans on the bottom should be intake?

eak232

Commendable
Aug 21, 2018
I just purchased the pure plus fans mentioned. They are alright, they do move a little bit more air than my old fans, the rgb is pretty nice, albeit kind of cheap looking. The pictures online do it more justice, still though good cheap fans so far with rgb

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
I built my system and I do like the fans I ended up going with. So far they are doing a good job of keeping the components cool and the LEDs are very smooth. The only issue that might bother some people is that the stickers they put on the fans are a tiny bit un-centered so they look a teensy bit wobbly. They aren't the most silent but they aren't loud either. Here is my full build!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Checked out your full build and it does look good, though too much blue for my taste but then again, it isn't my PC, it's yours. :)

Between your PC and my main PC (Skylake, full specs with pics in my sig), i found 2x common items:
SSD - Samsung 960 Evo 500GB
Speakers - Avermedia Ballista Trinity

While 960 Evo is common SSD, Avermedia speakers are not. It's nice to see that there are others out there who also like/love those speakers. :D

Oh, as far as your RMx 850 goes, those "connectors" inside the power cables are actually capacitors. JonnyGuru explains about those some more (starts from 8th pic) if you're up with some reading,
link: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=539