[SOLVED] Are there any software issues I should look out for when transferring HDD's between PC's?

11skip11

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015
Hi,

I've recently bought a new PC to which I wish to transfer the internal HDD's from my previous PC. I'm certain that the drives will fit, and that the PC has a sufficient number of SATA 6 ports. However, I am uncertain about whether any software problems might occur. I'm thinking about problems like the drives not being recognized, or the directory structure not being understood.
Are there any software problems I need to worry about before installing the drives? Or can I just plug them in and go.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Solution
Are there any software problems I need to worry about before installing the drives?
If you are referring to moving the OS drive, you should be prepared for complete failure!

Trying to move the old drive+OS to a whole new system, 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've seen all 3 outcomes. #1 is the least likely to occur. And the greater the difference between old and new, the less likely this to work.
With a whole new system, a fresh OS install is strongly recommended, often required.

Give us some details about old and new systems.

USAFRet

Titan
Are there any software problems I need to worry about before installing the drives?
If you are referring to moving the OS drive, you should be prepared for complete failure!

1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
I've seen all 3 outcomes. #1 is the least likely to occur. And the greater the difference between old and new, the less likely this to work.
With a whole new system, a fresh OS install is strongly recommended, often required.

Solution

11skip11

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015

1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more specific about which drives I'll be transfering.

I'm making a fresh install of the OS on a separate drive which is already present on the new PC. However, I was planning on transferring all drives, including the OS drive, from the old system.

Would it be a better idea to refrain from also transferring to OS drive?

11skip11

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015
Except for the OS, what is on these other drives?

Just regular files should be no issue.
Any applications will not work with the new OS.

The drives are mainly filled with applications like microsoft office, adobe, and games. Those will probably stop working after I transfer the drives, but leaving them on there as a reference for what to re-install later wouldn't pose any problems, right?

USAFRet

Titan
The drives are mainly filled with applications like microsoft office, adobe, and games. Those will probably stop working after I transfer the drives, but leaving them on there as a reference for what to re-install later wouldn't pose any problems, right?
Correct.

But, much better to just document them all now, while the old system is still running.
Not being able to run the old OS, you may not be able to discover all your applications.

Gather all the install files, serial numbers/license keys, etc.

Belarc Advisor can assist with that.
https://www.belarc.com/products/belarc-advisor

11skip11

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015
Correct.

But, much better to just document them all now, while the old system is still running.
Not being able to run the old OS, you may not be able to discover all your applications.

Gather all the install files, serial numbers/license keys, etc.

Belarc Advisor can assist with that.
https://www.belarc.com/products/belarc-advisor

That's a very good suggestion! I'll try that.

Thanks for the help.