[SOLVED] Are there disadvantages of using a large USB hub?

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
It seems to be asking a lot for just 1 USB cable to handle so much information coming from a USB hub that could have 10 devices attached. Is there a downside in using a large hub? Most seem to be 4 ports. Is there a benefit (other than cost) to this? I just want to have a more modular system and using a large hub with a lot of things attached, at a good distance from the computer, is very convenient. When you want to move it around you just unplug 1 USB cable instead of 10.
We all use a keyboard and mouse. Then there's webcam, good quality mic, audio interface, DAC, card readers, its endless.

Last edited:
Solution
Yes of course. That's not an issue though. Anyone can get an AC adapter and many hubs come with one. And some devices need power even if there are just 2 or 3 of them. I'm just wondering about the USB system itself and if using a hub with a lot of devices, like 10, would hamper you in any way.
Depends on what you're doing with it.
I have a 13 port, no issues.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HL7Z46K

Then again, I don't have a drive connected to all of those, and reading/writing to them all at the same time.

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Up to 4 usb devices is ok for a passive hub. Past that you need a powered hub which will require not only the usb cable, but also a power adapter.

Yes of course. That's not an issue though. Anyone can get an AC adapter and many hubs come with one. And some devices need power even if there are just 2 or 3 of them. I'm just wondering about the USB system itself and if using a hub with a lot of devices, like 10, would hamper you in any way. How can all that information not get messed up if its being carried in just one wire? Its quite incredible when you think of it.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes of course. That's not an issue though. Anyone can get an AC adapter and many hubs come with one. And some devices need power even if there are just 2 or 3 of them. I'm just wondering about the USB system itself and if using a hub with a lot of devices, like 10, would hamper you in any way.
Depends on what you're doing with it.
I have a 13 port, no issues.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HL7Z46K

Then again, I don't have a drive connected to all of those, and reading/writing to them all at the same time.

Solution
The problem is that a power outlet may not be easily available where the 10 port hub is located.
I suppose three normal usb cables to three 4 port hubs would be a solution.
I do not Know the effective length limitation of usb cables nor how far the OP needs to go.

I suspect that a usb C based solution will be the best.

TRENDING THREADS