[SOLVED] Are there length limitations to hdmi and displayport cables?

CorpRebel

Reputable
Jul 20, 2020
My 6ft hdmi and dp cables are just a bit too short for my new setup and am curious as to whether there are any length limitations for hdmi and displayport cables.

Thx!

CR

Solution
Yes, there are - but if 6ft are just slightly too short for you, it's not going to be a problem - just pick up some 10ft (or 8ft etc, depending on price) and be done.

IIRC, both HDMI 1.4+ and DP1.2+ are ~50Ft max, and you'll see some degredation depending on cable quality below that, but <25Ft and there shouldn't be any concerns whatsoever.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes, there are - but if 6ft are just slightly too short for you, it's not going to be a problem - just pick up some 10ft (or 8ft etc, depending on price) and be done.

IIRC, both HDMI 1.4+ and DP1.2+ are ~50Ft max, and you'll see some degredation depending on cable quality below that, but <25Ft and there shouldn't be any concerns whatsoever.

Reactions: CorpRebel
Solution

CorpRebel

Reputable
Jul 20, 2020

Thanks! Yeah I saw 8ft to 25ft for sale and I've ordered a couple of 10 footers for my use. It just made me curious as to what any length limits there actually were.

Thanks again for the reply! Have a GREAT week!

CR

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'd have to look into it, and I'm sure it varies slightly with the revision etc, but off the top of my head the upper end for both is ~50FT.

EDIT
Actually, looks like 50FT is more theoretical and 25Ft is about the upper end for quality (HDMI).
https://www.cablematters.com/blog/HDMI/how-long-can-an-hdmi-cable-be

Looks like DP is only 'certified' for about 10Ft..... Beyond that is technically out of spec and will heavily depend on quality.
Trusted brands in the space, such as StarTech offer 25Ft DP cables, but they're going to be at a premium.
https://www.startech.com/en-ca/cables/displport25l#:~:text=The DISPLPORT25L 25-foot DisplayPort,connection distance limitation of 16ft.

@CorpRebel - I updated my post, just an FYI

Last edited:
Reactions: CorpRebel