Are these computer parts compatible?

torbst2001

Reputable
May 13, 2018
I am building my first gaming computer soon, and would really appreciate if someone could double-check that all of my parts are compatible before I buy them.

Motherboard: MSI MSI Z370 GAMING M5 Enthusiast Intel Coffee Lake LGA 1151 VR Ready 64GB DDR4 SLI ATX

RAM: Kingston Technology HyperX FURY Black 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM

PSU: Seasonic FOCUS 550 Gold SSR-550FM 550W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Semi-Modular Compact 140 mm Size

SSD: Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch

CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 6 Cores up to 4.0GHz Turbo LGA1151 300 Series 65W

GPU: ASUS Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Fan Edition DVI-D HDMI DP 1.4

Case: Corsair Carbide SPEC-04 Mid-Tower

CPU-cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 120mm Radiator Single PWM Fan Liquid

I already have screen, headphones, keyboard, mouse and external SSD (1TB) ready.

Yes, they are all compatible, although I have a few questions.
1. Do you really need the liquid cooler? The 8400 can run stock without it just fine. The same goes for 16 GB of RAM. You can always upgrade down the line. 8 GB is perfectly fine for gaming.

2. Any particular reason you're going for the Z370 M5 board? It's very highly priced, and you can't even overclock your CPU since you're running a locked processor.

Your initial build would be just about $1000, which is actually a reasonable amount of money for PC's these days. If you ditch the cooler, go for a B360 chipset board, and lower your RAM, you'd have a HUGE amount of room to upgrade your GPU, which is fairly weak. You could go for either a 1060 6 GB card, or even a 1070 depending on what resolution you're playing at. All for the same, if not lower price.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xy2zvn
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xy2zvn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($178.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360 HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($81.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot - Signature Line 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($78.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($412.51 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.79 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $977.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-22 15:22 EDT-0400

agreed, you only need to get water cooling if you plan to overclock and there is no version of the i5 8400 that will allow you to do that

if you plan on upgrading to an overclockable CPU in the future (i'm assuming this since you chose to get a motherboard with a Z series chipset) like to an i5 8600K or i7 8700K/8086K then that would be the time to get a water cooler since those CPU's do not come with a stock cooler

4745454b

Titan
I pretty much agree, though I'd try to keep the 16GBs of ram and some sort of upgraded cooler. 8GBs can work, but I regularly go above 10GBs while gaming. And I'm not a hardcore gamer. And the 8400 is a locked CPU yes, but stock coolers tend to be noisy. I've been running my 212+ for ~4 systems now I think, and I can't imagine running a noisy stock one. You can probably change the above build and only drop down to a 1060.

Yep, those parts will be compatible, but the build is badly balanced and optimised, as Profoundnoah points out.
To get the best value for your hard earned cash we'll need to know: Where do you live? What display will you be using, what type of games will you play and what your total budget is.

1: There's little need for an expensive liquid cooler, the stock Intel part will get the job done although it tends to be noisy under sustained load, to keep things cool and quiet I'd usually suggest a cheap tower cooler like the Cryorig H7 or Coolermaster 212 Evo.

2: Motherboards don't help much with performance, pairing an expensive 'Z' MB with an non 'K' CPU is a waste of money, pair the two ( 'Z' MB+'K' CPU ) if you intend to overclock, for a non 'K' CPU the 'B' or 'H' series motherboards are fine, Intel systems don't suffer too much performance degradation because these less expensive motherboards don't support the fastest memory!

As always, there are options for everything. I think the best bet for you would be to keep the 16 GB of RAM, go with the 6 GB 1060, and go for a decent after-market air cooler, as 474 already suggested.

torbst2001

Reputable
May 13, 2018
The reason I chose the Z370 M5 Motherboard is that I want to be able to upgrade other parts without having to replace the motherboard. I guess the B360 would do the work though, so I might choose that instead. Perhaps I could not buy the liquid cooler - I don't think the noise would bother me too much, and don't really plan on overclocking.
I live in Norway, and I play a lot of Overwatch and other less intensive games like Minecraft, for example. I plan on playing newer games in the future, and if the PC can handle it.
So I'm basically wondering if I should upgrade GPU to 1060 or 1070, these GPUs tend to be expensive. I think I'll save a little money by not buying liquid cooler and buying a cheaper motherboard, but is that enough? Any thoughts on that?

By the way, thanks to all for helping.

torbst2001

Reputable
May 13, 2018
Oh, I'm not going to buy the parts locally. I think I'll buy them from Amazon. As far as I know, the shipping prices aren't too bad.

the only major differences a Z series board has over the lower one it allows you to overclock using a K series CPU and allow you to run multiple NVIDIA GPU's in SLI mode. if you do not plan on taking advantage of any of these now or in the future then there is no reason to get a Z series board.

also, most users say and think the Z series boards have the best quality components but a H370 board has the same level of quality components without all the features of a Z370 board.