[SOLVED] Are these OC Genie settings okay for CPU overclock ?

Morugs

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
CPU = Intel Core i7 8700k @ 4.7 GHz
Mainboard = Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero Gaming 1151 ATX Z390

Bios Mode = Legacy
Profile: OC Genie = Off / XMP = on

RAID - AHCI mode = on

CPU SETTINGS:

1: CPU RATIO APPLY MODE = ALL CORE

2: LONG DURATION POWER LIMIT = 4096 (max setting)

3: SHORT DURATION POWER LIMIT = 4094 (max setting)

4: CPU RATIO OFFSET WHEN RUNNING AVX = 0 (optional setting)

5: CPU CORE VOLTAGE MODE = Override/Manual

6: CPU CORE VOLTAGE = 1.250 V

7: HYPER THREATING = ENABLED

8: C STATE = ENABLED

9: ACTIVE PROCESSOR CORES = ALL

10: CPU LOADLINE CALIBRATION MODE = Testing from 5 up to 6

11: CPU RATIO MODE = DYNAMIC

12: CPU RATIO = 4.7 GHz

13: ENCHANCED TURBO = ENABLED

14: INTEL TURBO BOOST = ENABLED

15: EIST (intel speed step) = ENABLED

This i my current OC, did i miss anything= should i change anything?

Solution
LLC is added voltage. When a cpu demands more voltage for its instant higher loading, there's a split second delay before the VRM's can supply it. What LLC does is add a certain amount of voltage to the cpu so when the cpu does demand, that drop is covered and keeps the cpu from low voltage crashing.

But being an added voltage to the cpu can cause issues when set too high, because you or cpu automatically reduce voltages more, which lowers actual core voltage use and creates instability.

LLC should be mid or mid-high at best (can be 4 or 3, 3 or 4 depending on whether it's up or down LLC). 5/6 (1/2) is usually reserved for extreme overclocking using LN2 or other record breaking type OC/cooling.

Long/short duration means you've...
Be careful with 'enhanced' turbo. A lot of boards will just stick the CPU at very high frequencies (e.g. 5.0GHz). I doubt you'll be stable in stress tests at 5GHz with only 1.25v.
Also, be careful with loadline calibration as it can give a lot of extra juice to the CPU if you let it.

What cooler are you using? What are your temps after 15 mins of Prime95 blended (with AVX off)?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
LLC is added voltage. When a cpu demands more voltage for its instant higher loading, there's a split second delay before the VRM's can supply it. What LLC does is add a certain amount of voltage to the cpu so when the cpu does demand, that drop is covered and keeps the cpu from low voltage crashing.

But being an added voltage to the cpu can cause issues when set too high, because you or cpu automatically reduce voltages more, which lowers actual core voltage use and creates instability.

LLC should be mid or mid-high at best (can be 4 or 3, 3 or 4 depending on whether it's up or down LLC). 5/6 (1/2) is usually reserved for extreme overclocking using LN2 or other record breaking type OC/cooling.

Long/short duration means you've effectively disabled PL1 and Tau, so power limits will be maximum boost and stay there.

You've effectively locked all cores at high turbo speeds, then applied speedstep to dynamically lower boosts at low/idle loads. With a fixed voltage, that can create instability as idle uses a higher vcore than loads.

Solution