Question Are these temperatures for my Gpu Memory and Hotspot okay? Also does Gpu Memory refer to VRAM?

Sep 6, 2021
Hello, I am new to these forums, and I know barely anything about computers so if someone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated. I am using an RTX 2070 Super and while playing a game called "The Forest: I get around 170fps while playing on medium settings, and my gpu memory and gpu hotspot temperatures seem to be very high. Are these temperatures normal and okay, or is it something I should worry about?

This is a prebuilt and I have had it for 2 years. I clean the dust out of my pc regularly, I don't overclock, I have turned up the fan speed and I have good airflow space at the back of my tower.

Here is the reading from HWMonitor while in game playing "The Forest" on medium settings with around 170 fps, on a 240hz monitor.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking time to read this. :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Does hwinfo give the same results on gpu core, memory, and hot spot?
I ask because, HWMonitor is somewhat frowned upon for reasons - some of them I don't fully understand.

Anyways:
1)That gpu core reading is a bit toasty. The default thermal limit for the 2070 Super is 83C. 80, 81C would be a bit more acceptable.
Plus, with how Gpu Boost behaves, the gpu can hold higher boost clocks the cooler it runs. It's going to throttle clocks harder if it's hitting the thermal and power limits.
FYI, the reason the gpu doesn't shut the PC off on you is because it has to sit at 83C and over for an extended period to trigger that. Not sitting there, it doesn't shut off.

2)Memory is borderline green.

3)Hotspot is pretty impossible to determine without using specialized equipment, like thermocouples. It refers to the hottest thermal sensor, but it is not specified from which.
It's not much higher than what the gpu core is, so it can't be too bad; I've seen other users post way worse, such as a 25-30C gap.

Sep 6, 2021
Does hwinfo give the same results on gpu core, memory, and hot spot?
I ask because, HWMonitor is somewhat frowned upon for reasons - some of them I don't fully understand.

Anyways:
1)That gpu core reading is a bit toasty. The default thermal limit for the 2070 Super is 83C. 80, 81C would be a bit more acceptable.
Plus, with how Gpu Boost behaves, the gpu can hold higher boost clocks the cooler it runs. It's going to throttle clocks harder if it's hitting the thermal and power limits.
FYI, the reason the gpu doesn't shut the PC off on you is because it has to sit at 83C and over for an extended period to trigger that. Not sitting there, it doesn't shut off.

2)Memory is borderline green.

3)Hotspot is pretty impossible to determine without using specialized equipment, like thermocouples. It refers to the hottest thermal sensor, but it is not specified from which.
It's not much higher than what the gpu core is, so it can't be too bad; I've seen other users post way worse, such as a 25-30C gap.

Hello thanks for the response.

I just used hwinfo and it gives me the same results for temperature as hwmonitor did for gpu core and hotspot, but I couldn’t find the gpu memory temperature anywhere on hwinfo.

What would you suggest as the next step? Repasting the gpu thermal paste?

Thanks so much again

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I just used hwinfo and it gives me the same results for temperature as hwmonitor did for gpu core and hotspot, but I couldn’t find the gpu memory temperature anywhere on hwinfo.
Oh, that's right. That's not available yet on hwinfo. I derped.

What would you suggest as the next step? Repasting the gpu thermal paste?
It's kind of a do it if you're ok with it. You haven't really had it long enough for the paste to be a problem.
I'm more interested in the gpu model, the chassis, and the cooling arrangement. You can use imgur.com to post images - please remove the side panel when taking pictures of the interior(avoid certain reflections).

Bob.B

Respectable
Feb 8, 2021
Hello, I am new to these forums, and I know barely anything about computers so if someone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated. I am using an RTX 2070 Super and while playing a game called "The Forest: I get around 170fps while playing on medium settings, and my gpu memory and gpu hotspot temperatures seem to be very high. Are these temperatures normal and okay, or is it something I should worry about?

This is a prebuilt and I have had it for 2 years. I clean the dust out of my pc regularly, I don't overclock, I have turned up the fan speed and I have good airflow space at the back of my tower.

Here is the reading from HWMonitor while in game playing "The Forest" on medium settings with around 170 fps, on a 240hz monitor.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking time to read this. :)
Take the side panel off and test see if anything changes.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is that bad?
No, but it's... 'inconvenient', if the following makes any sense.
For the best cooling performance, the radial fan on the card needs to be more or less maxed out. The design isn't very efficient; the fan needs to be moving fast enough to move air down the length of the card, through the heatsink(which is beneath the shroud) and out the back.
Problem is, that fan is already pretty audible before that point, which turns people away from doing that.

I also have to take back what I said about holding off on the paste. With the way the shroud is so closed up, there's likely some hard to reach spots where dust could still collect, so the PCB could do with a deeper clean.
IF you're ok with doing that... but if you've owned a gpu for 3 years or so, you would've had to open it up at some point or other.

Then there's the matter of what paste to use. The surface of a bare silicon die is not the same as the IHS you see on a cpu. This does affect what pastes work well on it.
Thicker and stickier pastes are the way to go here. I can personally confirm that NT-H2 is one of those appropriate pastes to use on bare die.
Prolimatech's PK3 is also good, but might be harder to acquire. There's also Kingpin KPx, and Cooler Master Mastergel Maker Nano.

Skip Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. While it is hyped about as the 'best paste', or one of them, it's not very thick, and it has a very expensive flaw: it burns out faster under elevated temperatures - around 80C or so.
It's meant for users pushing extreme, or record OC's on their hardware anyway; they wouldn't care about frequent repastes since they already do that anyway.

Sep 6, 2021
No, but it's... 'inconvenient', if the following makes any sense.
For the best cooling performance, the radial fan on the card needs to be more or less maxed out. The design isn't very efficient; the fan needs to be moving fast enough to move air down the length of the card, through the heatsink(which is beneath the shroud) and out the back.
Problem is, that fan is already pretty audible before that point, which turns people away from doing that.

I also have to take back what I said about holding off on the paste. With the way the shroud is so closed up, there's likely some hard to reach spots where dust could still collect, so the PCB could do with a deeper clean.
IF you're ok with doing that... but if you've owned a gpu for 3 years or so, you would've had to open it up at some point or other.

Then there's the matter of what paste to use. The surface of a bare silicon die is not the same as the IHS you see on a cpu. This does affect what pastes work well on it.
Thicker and stickier pastes are the way to go here. I can personally confirm that NT-H2 is one of those appropriate pastes to use on bare die.
Prolimatech's PK3 is also good, but might be harder to acquire. There's also Kingpin KPx, and Cooler Master Mastergel Maker Nano.

Skip Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. While it is hyped about as the 'best paste', or one of them, it's not very thick, and it has a very expensive flaw: it burns out faster under elevated temperatures - around 80C or so.
It's meant for users pushing extreme, or record OC's on their hardware anyway; they wouldn't care about frequent repastes since they already do that anyway.
ok well thank you for all of your time and support. Ill maybe get it repasted in the future.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS