Are these temperatures High for 4770K?

NYK31

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Hi Everyone, I have the 4770K with Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 Motherboard and Cooler Master Seidon 120M liquid cooler.
My i7-4770k when running at 3.9GHz shows idle temperatures between 35c-40c and under load using intel extreme utility it goes upto 65-70c
When overclocked to 4.2Ghz with 1.188V I get 79c as the highest under load.
My ambient room temperature is between 30-35c (Summer season)
Are these temperatures okay? Because I have reseated the cooler once
Is this because of the high ambient room temperature and will it harm my cpu?
Do help me out!

Solution
It's fine, you overclocked it so shouldn't expect it to run too cool, just keep it there. You probably got unlucky and got a poor quality chip. Or it could be your room temp.

NYK31

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

But are these temps okay considering I have a liquid cooler with all fans set to maximum speed?
Is this because the ambient room temperature is a little high in my room?

NYK31

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

It maybe my room temp! I turned on the Ac and kept the temperature to about 20c! I could go upto 4.4Ghz at 1.28v and my temps remained between 80-85 under full load! And also my chip might not be a great overclocker.

Alpha3031

Honorable

Great, that should be the max you can oc with a Haswell chip. After all, the TIM is horrible on those. after warranty, if you haven't upgraded, i highly suggest de-lidding it (but do it carefully)

That's not a very nice thing to say. Also, he already told you the voltage.

NYK31

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

I think I agree with you Alpha3031 :) I've read that Haswell Chips aren't the best when it comes to overclocking and also I am using a single 120mm Cooler.I tried to touch 4.5GHz but I'll have to crank up the voltage above 1.3.I maybe be able to push it further with something like an h100i or so.
Just wanted to know that if I run it under 85c-90c, It won't damage my chip right?Because when I game without turning the AC on at 3.9GHz I usually hit temperatures between 65-75c

Alpha3031

Honorable
Put it this way: your chip will die eventually and hopefully that would be after you upgrade, lower temperatures will slow the dying down and most agree that at ~80-85 degC the "slowed downed dying" is optimal especially for a high end chip, not because it will die later, but because you'll have to upgrade sooner (well maybe both)
EDIT: This is if you only run the chip sparingly. If you run the chip 24/7 it'll die a lot sooner. You're not using a Xenon so I assume that you are using it at full for only 3-4 hrs a day