Question Are these thermals okay for a 3080 Ti ?

Celalyvan

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
Hi! I'm a prowd owner of a MSI 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio, playing on an ultra wide 1440p 120Hz monitor (aw3420dw to be more specific) (another note: I'm comming from playing at 1080p at 75Hz), and I've noticed while playing Diablo 4 all maxed out, even ray tracing, that some of my Temps reach around high 70°C, even sometimes having little over 80°C peaks.

As for my CPU I have a Ryzen 5800X cooled with an Artic cooler freezer 34 with push-pull config wich reaches around 70°C too (yeah it's a tiny cooler, but it was the best white cooler I could find without emptiying my pockets even more).

So, sorry if my question is kinda obvious but: are this thermals ok? should I tune down my settings/bolts, or speed up my case fans?

I'm reading you! thanks once again Forum!!

May 1, 2023
Hi! I'm a prowd owner of a MSI 3080 ti gaming trio X, playing on an ultra wide 1440p 120Hz monitor (aw3420dw to be more specific) (another note: I'm comming from playing at 1080p at 75Hz), and I've noticed while playing Diablo 4 all maxed out, even ray tracing, that some of my Temps reach around high 70°C, even sometimes having little over 80°C peaks.

As for my CPU I have a Ryzen 5800X cooled with an Artic cooler freezer 34 with push-pull config wich reaches around 70°C too (yeah it's a tiny cooler, but it was the best white cooler I could find without emptiying my pockets even more).

So, sorry if my question is kinda obvious but: are this thermals ok? should I tune down my settings/bolts, or speed up my case fans?

I'm reading you! thanks once again Forum!!
if you're pushing Diablo 4 on completely maxed settings 1440p and 120hz, then your GPU is going to be toastier in general. your 5800x being 70c would also probably be expected; not only does that CPU get hot by itself, but it'll also be receiving heat from the GPU, which will raise its temps as well

you can use MSI Afterburner to set custom fan curve on the GPU by dictating the fan speed % based on the temps (for example, at 40c my GPU fans run at 40%)

you could also go into your Bios and set a custom fan curve on the CPU fan I'm sure, doing the same thing as MSI Afterburner (again, example, my CPU fan is set to run at 60% at 50c, bit overkill but I also have a 5800x)

you can try toning down the settings and playing Diablo 4 for a bit to see what the thermals are with lower settings, or testing out other games. but overall, I'd expect your GPU and CPU to get pretty hot when maxing out your settings with 120hz on Diablo 4

Playing at 1440p / 120Hz will heat up that GPU.

Which PC case do you have?

The Arctic cooler freezer 34 is geared towards Ryzen 5 or Core i5, so if it can keep the Ryzen 7 5800X around 70° C, then it is doing a pretty darn job.

Celalyvan

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
if you're pushing Diablo 4 on completely maxed settings 1440p and 120hz, then your GPU is going to be toastier in general. your 5800x being 70c would also probably be expected; not only does that CPU get hot by itself, but it'll also be receiving heat from the GPU, which will raise its temps as well

you can use MSI Afterburner to set custom fan curve on the GPU by dictating the fan speed % based on the temps (for example, at 40c my GPU fans run at 40%)

you could also go into your Bios and set a custom fan curve on the CPU fan I'm sure, doing the same thing as MSI Afterburner (again, example, my CPU fan is set to run at 60% at 50c, bit overkill but I also have a 5800x)

you can try toning down the settings and playing Diablo 4 for a bit to see what the thermals are with lower settings, or testing out other games. but overall, I'd expect your GPU and CPU to get pretty hot when maxing out your settings with 120hz on Diablo 4
yeah I mean, I don't mind those temps as long as they are not on the bad-ish side of things!

Edit: I've been playing with the curves, I've tweaked with 'em a litthe thus far, but not with afterburner (I had a bad experience a long time ago with it, where it wouldn't load the custom settings and GPU fans would stay off till custom settings were turned on, once i opened a game and got afk for a couple of mins, and them came back to a odd smelly smell on my room, luckily nothing happend but yeah, you can tell how I felt), but my GPU fans at stock settings turn on at around 50°C, and reach around 1000rpm at those temps, bearly noticeable.

Last edited:

Celalyvan

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
Playing at 1440p / 120Hz will heat up that GPU.

Which PC case do you have?

The Arctic cooler freezer 34 is geared towards Ryzen 5 or Core i5, so if it can keep the Ryzen 7 5800X around 70° C, then it is doing a pretty darn job.
I'm currently using a Lian Li Lancool III (sexy af case), still fighting with the curves to find the sweetspot between sound and fan speed, but I think I'm getting there!

May 1, 2023
yeah I mean, I don't mind those temps as long as they are not on the bad-ish side of things!
if you wanna get technical with it, playing at higher temps for prolonged periods will shorten the lifespan but it's very miniscule in the grand scheme so don't worry

I wouldn't say you're encroaching on anything dangerous at your temps, especially since you're playing at such high settings, your GPU will naturally be pushed. just try messing with fan curves in the Bios for the CPU, and MSI Afterburner for your GPU, you'll probably see a decrease in temps

Yeah, thats about normal, my 3080ti was around them temps on heavy games, My 3090ti is around that as well in Diablo 4, I do notice Diablo 4 seems to push my card to use 420 430 watts at 3440x1440 where a game more graphically demanding like Forza the card often sits under 400 wattts, Guess its just the way the game uses the GPU.

But temps are normal for both the 5800x, actully I'd go and say that a great temp for your 5800x, my other system with a 5800x and a Nh-d14 is hot in a 70F room, hotter than my 5900x with the same cooler.

Assuming you're not talking about hotspot temps then those are on the slightly high side, but nowhere near problem territory. It's possible that you'd end up getting better temperatures if you were to replace your CPU cooler with something better.

Diablo 4 is a CPU heavy games with all those spawns. those are ok temps with that cooler. especially if you have PBO turned on and maybe enabled or use the auto tune settings with ryzen master. it tends to give a little more volt than is strictly necessary.

for the WQHD 120hz display with ray tracing on and ultra settings? those temps are fine.

Celalyvan

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
Thanks for the replies guys! I just wanted to make shure that everything was ok! Now I just gotta wait for summer to hit my city and see what happens there haha