[SOLVED] Are these things compatible?

superballer135

Commendable
Jan 27, 2019
I'm planning on building a computer and I just need to know if these things are compatible, so I've already got the ryzen 3 2200g, and I'm planning to order some ram and the motherboard (I'm on a budget) and was wondering if I got the MSI - B450M PRO-VDH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, and the G.Skill - Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory, as well as a 1050ti capture card,would that all be compatible with no problems?

Solution
This is the least expensive option for motherboard and memory that I would recommend. It's a much better board than that Pro-VDH and these 3000mhz modules are user verified as working on Ryzen platforms AT their rated speed, not just AT the default speed of 2133mhz. You will STILL need to enable the XMP profile in the BIOS to achieve 3000mhz speed, but that is true of ANY and ALL Ryzen systems if you want speeds above 2133mhz and for ALL Intel platforms if you want more than the native speed of 2133-2666mhz since some newer Intel platforms natively support 2666mhz as default.

No matter what, if you want memory that works at 3000mhz, on ANY platform, you will have to go into the BIOS and enable the memory XMP profile.

There ARE lower...
It would, but the memory is very slow and will be noticeable on a Ryzen platform. Much of the performance on Ryzen is established through fast memory speed.

Flare X is also usually significantly more expensive than many other models of memory that will work fine on recent Ryzen chipsets.

How much are you looking at for those parts altogether, and what is your actual budget for these parts if you went with other parts?

Also, are you in the US or elsewhere?

superballer135

Commendable
Jan 27, 2019
I live in the us, and what would cause it to be slow? Honestly the motherboard is the biggest issue, I just need to find one that can run fast and be compatible with everything I listed before, and be $80 or under, i dont wont to go through any hassle i just want to build it, and for it to work the first time with no complications.

That fact that it is 2133mhz is what would cause it to be slow. Ryzen platforms don't perform well with anything slower than 2933mhz, preferably 3000-3200mhz memory if you want to see the proper performance from your Ryzen chip due largely to the way the infinity fabric architecture works. Slow memory generally equals comparatively slow CPU performance.

Obviously, you CAN use slower memory, but anything below 2800mhz is going to incur a serious performance penalty on any Ryzen platform.

That, is a very good reason to NOT go with a Ryzen platform. Ryzen is a good platform considering it's price vs performance metrics, but usually it is neither hassle free nor as fast as Intel platforms, but it's usually significantly less expensive which is why many users are willing to deal with it.

BIOS updates over the last year have improved things tremendously, but it is still often not just a plug and play affair if you want to see decent performance for the money you spent. Sometimes it IS that way, but often it is not. Buying memory that has been user verified to work at the rated speed, not just at the default speed like the manufacturer QVL lists, is the best way to ensure this.

So again I'll ask you, what is the MOST you are willing to pay for a motherboard and memory kit, in order to try to avoid hassles later.

superballer135

Commendable
Jan 27, 2019
So you think I should get faster ram? What's the entire issue? And how can I fix it? without going out of my price range and still getting the same out of it, the ram was $90. Would getting
Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory solve the entire problem?

This is the least expensive option for motherboard and memory that I would recommend. It's a much better board than that Pro-VDH and these 3000mhz modules are user verified as working on Ryzen platforms AT their rated speed, not just AT the default speed of 2133mhz. You will STILL need to enable the XMP profile in the BIOS to achieve 3000mhz speed, but that is true of ANY and ALL Ryzen systems if you want speeds above 2133mhz and for ALL Intel platforms if you want more than the native speed of 2133-2666mhz since some newer Intel platforms natively support 2666mhz as default.

No matter what, if you want memory that works at 3000mhz, on ANY platform, you will have to go into the BIOS and enable the memory XMP profile.

There ARE lower priced 3000mhz Team Vulcan modules, but they are not on anybodys list of verified modules for Ryzen that I can see.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $194.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-28 01:43 EST-0500

Solution

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
MERGED QUESTION
Question from superballer135 : "Can it support this?"

Look at the specs in pcpartpicker for the board:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sfcMnQ/asrock-ab350m-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-ab350m

Memory Type

DDR4-2133 / 2400 / 2666 / 2933 / 3000