[SOLVED] Are used 3rd/4th gen i5 laptops good to go with?

Aaayron

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013
Long story short, I'm planning on buying my gf a new laptop because her old Lenovo is on its last legs. I managed to scrounge up some $300 or so and see that the used market in my country has a bunch of older gen i3 and i5 systems well within my price range (Fujitsus, NECs, Acers, you name it they got it).

I figured they're about the same price as brand new Celeron/Pentium based systems, would they be a better option to go for? She mostly needs a laptop for article writing, watching movies, semi heavy browsing, etc. and I wanna give her a system that won't lag on her. I also want it to be an upgrade from her current 2016 Pentium-based Ideapad.

Thanks so much for any guidance.

Solution
They'd be fine. Go for a high quality one. You could easily get a Lenovo Thinkpad T450s for that price on eBay. Make sure it has a 1920x1080 display (FHD). As I think they still had a 1366x768 option.

If that turns out too much. Go for the prior generations the T440s. Basically you want a TxxxS. The straight Txxx or TxxxP are a step down quality wise.

You'll want to have money leftover for a new battery. Also an SSD if it doesn't have one. Used RAM is also cheap. Same with a compatible Lenovo dock.

While these weren't the sexiest computers. They were built to a high standard. With a sturdy case, responsive keyboard and excellent trackpad.
They'd be fine. Go for a high quality one. You could easily get a Lenovo Thinkpad T450s for that price on eBay. Make sure it has a 1920x1080 display (FHD). As I think they still had a 1366x768 option.

If that turns out too much. Go for the prior generations the T440s. Basically you want a TxxxS. The straight Txxx or TxxxP are a step down quality wise.

You'll want to have money leftover for a new battery. Also an SSD if it doesn't have one. Used RAM is also cheap. Same with a compatible Lenovo dock.

While these weren't the sexiest computers. They were built to a high standard. With a sturdy case, responsive keyboard and excellent trackpad.

Solution

Aaayron

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013

Thanks for the heads up! I am indeed a fan of Lenovo now from seeing how resilient hers was (survived 2 falls and water spilled on it lol). I think I saw some T450S models too. Definitely copping those. Cheers.

Reactions: velocityg4